• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

added smiley face

Hi there:

I am looking for opinions: should long-term dry aged rib eye have a tender/melting texture, or should it be a bit chewy/tough? 

Over the last couple years, I have asked my local beef butcher to dry-age a full rib eye for me - first was 45 days, next was ~52, and final was ~60.  I have the butcher do it because I simply don't have room for a second fridge.

The first two were prime grade (45 and ~52), the third (~60) was choice grade.  These are corn-finished cows.

Soon as I bring the trimmed pieces home (roughly 11 pounds each), I slice them up into roughly 1.5 inch thickness, vac seal, then freeze.  I will generally sous-vide at 128-130F for a couple hours, then sear on high heat (sometimes with butter, sometimes without).  Super tasty, funky-licious, but always a bit tough, and the choice comes out rather dry.  I've also tried a few reverse sear with my grill.

Everything I've read in the past, suggests they should be tender, probably can almost be cut with a spoon.

Please don't take the above as a complaint, I'm just wondering whether my results are normal :)

jedovaty

jedovaty

Hi there:

I am looking for opinions: should long-term dry aged rib eye have a tender/melting texture, or should it be a bit chewy/tough? 

Over the last couple years, I have asked my local beef butcher to dry-age a full rib eye for me - first was 45 days, next was ~52, and final was ~60.  I have the butcher do it because I simply don't have room for a second fridge.

The first two were prime grade (45 and ~52), the third (~60) was choice grade.  These are corn-finished cows.

Soon as I bring the trimmed pieces home (roughly 11 pounds each), I slice them up into roughly 1.5 inch thickness, vac seal, then freeze.  I will generally sous-vide at 128-130F for a couple hours, then sear on high heat (sometimes with butter, sometimes without).  Super tasty, funky-licious, but always a bit tough, and the choice comes out rather dry.  I've also tried a few reverse sear with my grill.

Everything I've read in the past, suggests they should be tender, probably can almost be cut with a spoon.

Please don't take the above as a complaint, I'm just wondering whether my results are normal.