• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

On 11/17/2023 at 9:47 AM, Darienne said:

Hard to believe what I have just gone through to find some polenta.  Neither of the two largest bulk food stores carries Polenta in any format.  Of the main grocery stores in Peterborough only FreshCo carries any form of Polenta and they carry only the preformed tube variety.  So that's where it's at for this city apparently.  

Ed will buy me some Polenta at FreshCo today.  

So the polenta was purchased, a shelf stable one...apparently the only one available... but the next part is a bit confusing.  The best buy date is June 2023...OK... but once it's opened, it's good for only 4 days in the fridge and it's not to be frozen.  I just don't get it.  And why can't it be frozen?  

Darienne

Darienne

On 11/17/2023 at 9:47 AM, Darienne said:

Hard to believe what I have just gone through to find some polenta.  Neither of the two largest bulk food stores carries Polenta in any format.  Of the main grocery stores in Peterborough only FreshCo carries any form of Polenta and they carry only the preformed tube variety.  So that's where it's at for this city apparently.  

Ed will buy me some Polenta at FreshCo today.  

So the polenta was purchased, a shelf stable one, but the next part is a bit confusing.  The best buy date is June 2023...OK... but once it's opened, it's good for only 4 days in the fridge and it's not to be frozen.  I just don't get it.  And why can't it be frozen?