• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

julie99nl

julie99nl

I have the book in original Dutch, so hopefully this will be helpful.

Page 187 recipe for Truffels with Anise and Liquer is in the Dutch book titled,  Truffels with Anise liquer. The ingredient is Anise liquer with a suggestion to use Raki or Ouzo. These are piped into round balls.

The page 188 recipe is titled Anise truffels and therefore contains only dried anise seeds. These are piped into logs.

Preserving fruit in alcohol.

Can you give a page number? I didn't find it easily, but I can probably find what detail is missing. (edited to write: this was addressed in an earlier post)

Espresso recipe, there is indeed no butter listed in the ingredients while butter is included in the instructions.

He needs a better editor, me thinks, in English and in Dutch. 

I use it as an ultimate technique resource, more than anything.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:59 PM, minas6907 said:

Hello all. I recently picked up JP Wybauw's book, that I didnt know existed until a few weeks ago, Fine Chocolates: Gold. I've looked for his book in the past, only to find them being sold individually for $120ish. His new book, which came out a year ago, but was new to me, is appearently his four Fine Chocolates series combined into one volume. Heres the link if anyone want it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9401433429/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really, I wanted opinions on Wybauws work. He really seems like he knows what he talking about, and I from different threads over the years, I cant really recall anything negative, however there a few things in the book I was sort of puzzeled over. I believe this text was translated into English, so theres some funny wording, not really an issue. One of the first recipes that caught my eye was on p. 188, "Truffles with Anise and Liqueur", I like how they were piped into logs, enrobed, and rolled in coarse sugar. However, there is no mention of alcohol, I thought that was weird, just anise seed. A day later I was flipping through again, and on the previous page, p. 187 there was a recipe "Aniseed Truffles," which DID contain liqueur, but no aniseed. So...I'm pretty certain the recipe names for those bonbons were switched with each other.

Another thing that perplex me, was on the section on preserving fresh fruit in alcohol. One of the formulas read:

1000 g ° to 96° alcohol

600 g water

200 g kirsch

200 g 30° Baumé (54° Brix) sugar syrup

For the first ingredient, the alcohol, there is no low end of the spectrum given, just a ° symbol with no number preceding it. I'm not really sure what to think of that.

Then I was looking through it again this morning, and on p. 402, "Espresso" bonbon, caught me eye, pretty basic flavor. I did think the instructions were interesting, first step was to "Bring the cream, glucose, butter, sorbitol, and coffee to a boil." I thought it was interesting to bring to butter to a boil along with everything else, I liked the idea, but there is no butter listed in the recipe!

All in all, what makes me nervous is that I seem to find things like this every time I open the book. I know his books are owned by many on this forum, so am I just being over analytical? He really sounds like he knows what hes talking about, and is obviously a well respected individual. Are there things like this in his other books? I haven't tried any of the formulas yet, I've only had the book a few days, and havent really read anything en depth, just glancing through. I would expect a little different from a $90 text, perhaps I'm being too critical, but I wanted to hear others opinions on his books. Thanks for reading!

julie99nl

julie99nl

I have the book in original Dutch, so hopefully this will be helpful.

Page 187 recipe for Truffels with Anise and Liquer is in the Dutch book titled,  Truffels with Anise liquer. The ingredient is Anise liquer with a suggestion to use Raki or Ouzo. These are piped into round balls.

The page 188 recipe is titled Anise truffels and therefore contains only dried anise seeds. These are piped into logs.

Preserving fruit in alcohol.

Can you give a page number? I didn't find it easily, but I can probably find what detail is missing.

Espresso recipe, there is indeed no butter listed in the ingredients while butter is included in the instructions.

He needs a better editor, me thinks, in English and in Dutch. 

I use it as an ultimate technique resource, more than anything.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:59 PM, minas6907 said:

Hello all. I recently picked up JP Wybauw's book, that I didnt know existed until a few weeks ago, Fine Chocolates: Gold. I've looked for his book in the past, only to find them being sold individually for $120ish. His new book, which came out a year ago, but was new to me, is appearently his four Fine Chocolates series combined into one volume. Heres the link if anyone want it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9401433429/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really, I wanted opinions on Wybauws work. He really seems like he knows what he talking about, and I from different threads over the years, I cant really recall anything negative, however there a few things in the book I was sort of puzzeled over. I believe this text was translated into English, so theres some funny wording, not really an issue. One of the first recipes that caught my eye was on p. 188, "Truffles with Anise and Liqueur", I like how they were piped into logs, enrobed, and rolled in coarse sugar. However, there is no mention of alcohol, I thought that was weird, just anise seed. A day later I was flipping through again, and on the previous page, p. 187 there was a recipe "Aniseed Truffles," which DID contain liqueur, but no aniseed. So...I'm pretty certain the recipe names for those bonbons were switched with each other.

Another thing that perplex me, was on the section on preserving fresh fruit in alcohol. One of the formulas read:

1000 g ° to 96° alcohol

600 g water

200 g kirsch

200 g 30° Baumé (54° Brix) sugar syrup

For the first ingredient, the alcohol, there is no low end of the spectrum given, just a ° symbol with no number preceding it. I'm not really sure what to think of that.

Then I was looking through it again this morning, and on p. 402, "Espresso" bonbon, caught me eye, pretty basic flavor. I did think the instructions were interesting, first step was to "Bring the cream, glucose, butter, sorbitol, and coffee to a boil." I thought it was interesting to bring to butter to a boil along with everything else, I liked the idea, but there is no butter listed in the recipe!

All in all, what makes me nervous is that I seem to find things like this every time I open the book. I know his books are owned by many on this forum, so am I just being over analytical? He really sounds like he knows what hes talking about, and is obviously a well respected individual. Are there things like this in his other books? I haven't tried any of the formulas yet, I've only had the book a few days, and havent really read anything en depth, just glancing through. I would expect a little different from a $90 text, perhaps I'm being too critical, but I wanted to hear others opinions on his books. Thanks for reading!