• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

What is not to love about cooking when you find giants in the culinary world who cannot agree about such a simple thing as how to make chicken stock?xD

Imagine if Escoffier had an Instant Pot!

39 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW, it only required about 2 minutes of research to find this—which pre-dates Escoffier's Le Guide Culinaire by 7 years.

It's credited to a "French Chef" which hints to it's existence prior—it may very well be published elsewhere. But I haven't done further research.

33fb6o5.png

Source: Fannie Farmer's The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, 1896, Page 109

I'm not convinced it's safe to say that the technique was developed by the Chinese without proof—which likely doesn't exist.

But that's not chicken stock. And it says to boil for three to four hours, which would also make a fairly lousy stock.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

What is not to love about cooking when you find giants in the culinary world who cannot agree about such a simple thing as how to make chicken stock?xD

Imagine if Escoffier had an Instant Pot!

37 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW, it only required about 2 minutes of research to find this—which pre-dates Escoffier's Le Guide Culinaire by 7 years.

It's credited to a "French Chef" which hints to it's existence prior—it may very well be published elsewhere. But I haven't done further research.

33fb6o5.png

Source: Fannie Farmer's The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, 1896, Page 109

I'm not convinced it's safe to say that the technique was developed by the Chinese without proof—which likely doesn't exist.

But that's not chicken stock.