• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I couldn't stand it any longer :

I made a simple sandwich out of a hunk of ' 66 ' :

5ab50660a614a_CB66.thumb.jpg.32c21ee45dd6c949b16fbf16c5cbd9c1.jpg

it was cold , and I did not ' de-salt ' the meat as I usually do.   I was hungry

Im very pleased to report that the meat was not mealy in any way.  it tasted fine.

I can't tell you if its that much more tender than ' 48 '  as I did not do a side-by-side

the good news for me is that its not mealy.   it is salty , as was the jus.

no harm was done to the meat w the additional time at 140 F

yes , F meat does taste better the C meat.

I had  minor concern as my Cb sat in its original bags in the refrig for about a week until I could get to it.

several years ago I let he Cb sit much longer in the refrig , but before the sell - date , and that batch ended up mealy for some reason

140 x 48.

the lesson Im taking home , and placing in the Red SV book is :   > 48 is fine , and possibly preferred.

thanks again to

@curls

for the ref. on different times for Cb

> 48 offers much more flexibility on Start / Finish times

I can tell this meat will be much better at room temp and briefly De-Salted.

rotuts

rotuts

it was cold , and I did not ' de-salt ' the meat as I usually do.   I was hungry

Im very pleased to report that the meat was not mealy in any way.  it tasted fine.

I can't tell you if its that much more tender than ' 48 '  as I did not do a side-by-side

I had  minor concern as my Cb sat in its original bags in the refrig for about a week until I could get to it.

several years ago I let he Cb sit much longer in the refrig , but before the sell - date , and that batch ended up mealy for some reason

140 x 48.

the lesson Im taking home , and placing in the Red SV book is :   > 48 is fine , and possibly preferred.

thanks again to

@curls

I can tell this meat will be much better at room temp and briefly De-Salted.

rotuts

rotuts

140 x 48.

thanks again to

@curls