• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Corned beef is the star but it needs it's supporting cast. Anybody started thinking about what's going to accompany the corned beef on St. Patrick's day?

For about 20 years I bought a corned brisket and make the standard boiled dinner (potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage).  Neither of us was particularly fond of the dinner, but it was traditional and we enjoy cooking for holidays.  With the just the 2 of us, there were always leftovers.  The corned beef would become Rueben sandwiches.  

About 20 year years ago we decided to cut to the chase and make Ruebens on St. Patrick's Day.  Been doing that ever since.  Here in Mexico we have found some terrific corned beef and there are at least 3 restaurants who sell good to excellent Ruebens.  

An aside: years ago we rented a house in Barra de Navidad, a small beach town.  One day we walked along the beach to the next town, Melaque.  A 45 minute walk.  Had a wonderful lunch, wandered around and at day's end, decided to grab a taxi back to Barra.  As soon as we got in the taxi at the plaza, we were engulfed in a large parade.  I asked the driver what the parade was for, he said proudly, "Es la dia de nuestro Patron."  Every village has a patron saint and we have run into these fiestas before...they are always fun.  It wasn't until a few days later when I was looking at a map of the area that I saw the full name of the town of Melaque.  It is San Patricio Melaque.  Odd to have been caught up in a St. Patrick's Day parade at the beach in Mexico!

gulfporter

gulfporter

Corned beef is the star but it needs it's supporting cast. Anybody started thinking about what's going to accompany the corned beef on St. Patrick's day?

For about 20 years I bought a corned brisket and make the standard boiled dinner (potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage).  Neither of us was particularly fond of the dinner, but it was traditional and we enjoy cooking for holidays.  With the just the 2 of us, there were always leftovers.  The corned beef would become Rueben sandwiches.  

About 20 year years ago we decided to cut to the chase and make Ruebens on St. Patrick's Day.  Been doing that ever since.  Here in Mexico we have found some terrific corned beef and there are at least 3 restaurants who sell good to excellent Ruebens.  

An aside: years ago we rented a house in Barra de Navidad, a small beach town.  One day we walked along the beach to the next town, Melaque.  A 45 minute walk.  Had a wonderful lunch, wandered around and at day's end, decided to grab a taxi back to Barra.  As soon as we got in the taxi at the plaza, we were engulfed in a large parade.  I asked the driver what the parade was for, he said proudly, "Es el dia de nuestro Patron."  Every village has a patron saint and we have run into these fiestas before...they are always fun.  It wasn't until a few days later when I was looking at a map of the area that I saw the full name of the town of Melaque.  It is San Patricio Melaque.  Odd to have been caught up in a St. Patrick's Day parade at the beach in Mexico!

gulfporter

gulfporter

An aside: years ago we rented a house in Barra de Navidad, a small beach town.  One day we walked along the beach to the next town, Melaque.  A 45 minute walk.  Had a wonderful lunch, wandered around and at day's end, decided to grab a taxi back to Barra.  As soon as we got in the taxi at the plaza, we were engulfed in a large.  I asked the driver what the parade was for, he said proudly, "Es el dia de nuestro Patron."  Every village has a patron saint and we have run into these fiestas before...they are always fun.  It wasn't until a few days later when I was looking at a map of the area that I saw the full name of the town of Melaque.  It is San Patricio Melaque.  Odd to have been caught up in a St. Patrick's Day parade at the beach in Mexico!

gulfporter

gulfporter

For about 20 years I'd buy a corned brisket and make the standard boiled dinner (potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage).  Neither of us was particularly fond of the dinner, but it was traditional and we enjoy cooking for holidays.  With the just the 2 of us, there were always leftovers.  The corned beef would become Rueben sandwiches.  

An aside: years ago we rented a house in Barra de Navidad, a small beach town.  One day we walked along the beach to the next town, Melaque.  A 45 minute walk.  Had a wonderful lunch, wandered around and at day's end, decided to grab a taxi back to Barra.  As soon as we got in the taxi at the plaza, we were engulfed in a large.  I asked the driver what the parade was for, he said proudly, "Es el dia de nuestro Patron."  Every village has a patron saint and we have run into these fiestas before...they are always fun.  It wasn't until a few days later when I was looking at a map of the area that I saw the full name of the town of Melaque.  It is San Patricio Melaque.  Odd to have been caught up in a St. Patrick's Day parade at the beach in Mexico!