• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

1 hour ago, weedy said:

I'd wonder if they are velveting it

but I might add that if they BOIL the sauce and then put in the chicken in some reasonable time frame after boring, it's bound to be a lot hotter than 140f in there.

140F chicken has an almost rubbery texture that not everyone likes.

To get a more "traditional", falling apart, kind of texture you need to go 150-160.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/chinese-velveting-101-introduction-water-velveting.html

I would contest the "velveting". Soy sauce chicken (breast) is cooked as a whole, not in slices, so both marinate penetration and short velveting times do not apply. It is - by all standards - a regular poaching process.

I agree on the textural part. 140 F is "undercooked" count compared what the OP asks for. The classical process starts at higher temperatures, so at least the outside of the breast will have a firmer texture. 

@hainanchicken

I would run a series of SV temperatures to find the texture you like. I also think that rapid chilling is detrimental to the texture and it will pronounce any "stringyness", so a slower cooling would enhance the uniform structure you are looking for ... Please let us know your findings !

Duvel

Duvel

52 minutes ago, weedy said:

I'd wonder if they are velveting it

but I might add that if they BOIL the sauce and then put in the chicken in some reasonable time frame after boring, it's bound to be a lot hotter than 140f in there.

140F chicken has an almost rubbery texture that not everyone likes.

To get a more "traditional", falling apart, kind of texture you need to go 150-160.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/chinese-velveting-101-introduction-water-velveting.html

I would contest the "velveting". Hainanese chicken breast is cooked as a whole, not in slices, so both marinate penetration and short velveting times do not apply. It is - by all standards - a regular poaching process.

I agree on the textural part. 140 F is "undercooked" count compared what the OP asks for. The classical process starts at higher temperatures, so at least the outside of the breast will have a firmer texture. 

@hainanchicken

I would run a series of SV temperatures to find the texture you like. I also think that rapid chilling is detrimental to the texture and it will pronounce any "stringyness", so a slower cooling would enhance the uniform structure you are looking for ... Please let us know your findings !