• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Mai Tai (Trader Vic's) from Kindred Cocktails

1oz Jamaican rum (dark, 7-15 year old)

1oz Rhum Agricole, St. George

3⁄4 oz Lime juice

1⁄2 oz Curaçao (I used Morays Orange Liqueur)

1⁄4 oz Orgeat (I used almond extract)

1⁄4 oz Simple syrup

1 spg Mint (as garnish)

I was really excited to try Rhum Agricole, OMG, what a surprise. O.o

It's not a rum, I don't know why I thought it was a rum. It's not sweet at all, it smells like pickled olives and grass.

Yet it's a key ingredient in the original mai tai. The sweetness of the other ingredients hide its brininess.

I really enjoyed the Trader Vic Mai Tai. I'm undecided on the Rhum Agricole. All I can say for now is it's mighty fine in a mai tai and being a St. George product, it goes down smooth as silk, as long as you can hide the taste.

IMG_2587.JPG

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Mai Tai (Trader Vic's) from Kindred Spirits

3⁄4 oz Lime juice

1⁄2 oz Curaçao (I used Morays Orange Liqueur)

1⁄4 oz Orgeat (I used almond extract)

1⁄4 oz Simple syrup

1 spg Mint (as garnish)

It's not a rum, I don't know why I thought it was a rum. It's not sweet at all, it smells like pickled olives and grass.

Yet it's a key ingredient in the original mai tai. The sweetness of the other ingredients hide its brininess.

I really enjoyed the Trader Vic Mai Tai. I'm undecided on the Rhum Agricole. All I can say for now is it's mighty fine in a mai tai and being a St. George product, it goes down smooth as silk, as long as you can hide the taste.

IMG_2587.JPG

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Mai Tai (Trader Vic's) from Kindred Spirits

3⁄4 oz Lime juice

1⁄2 oz Curaçao

1⁄4 oz Orgeat

1⁄4 oz Simple syrup

1 spg Mint (as garnish)

IMG_2587.JPG