• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

22 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@dcarch beautiful plate!

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------

Warning!! if you are using squash blossoms, be very careful to examine the inside of the blossoms outdoors. If you grow squashes, you probably notice  that squash blossoms are very perfume-my and they attract a lot of bees.  Half the time you will find bees and other insects inside. You don't want to get stung and have bees inside your home.

22 hours ago, heidih said:

@dcarch  Nice cold plate BUT I find my blossms retain that sweet vegetal essence. Maybe cuz I leave the innards and the stem end and use a very light rice flour coating

Agree. 

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Then you are doing it wrong. I regularly fry squash blossoms and they do not taste either 'all' or 'mostly' (contradiction there) of fried batter.

Like heidih said. The key is to be very careful in the use of minimum and simple batter. Even so the extreme heat of frying does evaporate a great deal of the delicate fragrance that you can enjoy if you eat the blossom raw.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

22 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@dcarch beautiful plate!

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------

Warning!! if you are using squash blossoms, be very careful to examine the inside of the blossoms outdoors. If you grow squashes, you probably notice  that squash blossoms are very perfume-my and they attack a lot of bees.  Half the time you will find bees and other insects inside. You don't want to get stung and have bees inside your home.

21 hours ago, heidih said:

@dcarch  Nice cold plate BUT I find my blossms retain that sweet vegetal essence. Maybe cuz I leave the innards and the stem end and use a very light rice flour coating

Agree. 

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Then you are doing it wrong. I regularly fry squash blossoms and they do not taste either 'all' or 'mostly' (contradiction there) of fried batter.

Like heidih said. The key is to be very careful in the use of minimum and simple batter. Even so the extreme heat of frying does evaporate a great deal of the delicate fragrance that you can enjoy if you eat the blossom raw.

dcarch