• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

21 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The benefits of vacuum marination are much exaggerated... Meat is dense. It is not like a sponge, and won't "suck up" marinades appreciably faster under vacuum.

Hmmm, do you have any data supporting this?

I certainly get that needled tissue will take up marinade faster than non-, but I question whether meat is so dense that it will not absorb marinade faster under vacuum.  It would seen to me that, while not significantly porous, there is clearly enough "room" for water and salt (and blood, serum and lymph) to pass through and between muscle cells, and vacuum would aid with that, even without needling.

I guess I have to run a little test.

In this connection, I've heard it's the practice of markets like Costco and Walmart to needle pretty much everything.

boilsover

boilsover

21 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The benefits of vacuum marination are much exaggerated... Meat is dense. It is not like a sponge, and won't "suck up" marinades appreciably faster under vacuum.

Hmmm, do you have any data supporting this?

I certainly get that needled tissue will take up marinade faster than non-, but I question whether meat is so dense that it will not absorb marinade.  It would seen to me that, while not significantly porous, there is clearly enough "room" for water and salt (and blood, serum and lymph) to pass through and between muscle cells.

I guess I have to run a little test.