• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Auro

Auro

On 08/12/2017 at 5:23 AM, MetsFan5 said:

I apologize if this is a topic-- I did search and couldn't find one that exists. 

I am cursed with weak teeth and often have uncomfortable dental procedures and/ or oral surgery. 

Tonight my mouth was numb for hours and I was exhausted from anxiety and nitrious that I made a box of Betty Crocker's Scallop Potatoes. 

I didn't want soup in case the numb half of my mouth didn't allow for consumption without a bib of some sort. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who deals with the need to eat after an uncomfortable dentist appointment. What do you all eat? I've found slowly nibbling on a grilled cheese to work, mashed potatoes of course are easy but sometimes you want protein so scrambled eggs are the only thing I can think of. 

Suggestions are welcome as I had a temporary cap put on and will have the permanent one to deal with in two weeks. 

MetsFan I'm Dental Surgeon in Brazil. I am periodontist and studied oral and maxilofacial surgery in Japan. 
In the first 24 hours after the surgery prefer cold and paste or soft food. Like yogurt, ice creams,  gelatin. Avoid chew int the surgery side. Cold compress in the face and cold food will avoid to increasing face edema and pain in first 24hours.

After 24 hours the cold compress and food have a opposite effect. It will cause the edema that exists longer decreasing. After 24 hours soups, risotos and warm and hot paste food will help you. In the first days.
After 2-3 days you can eat on the opposite side most of the food, avoid cruch and hard food.

In most cases in one week you will can eat without restricitions.

Auro

Auro

I apologize if this is a topic-- I did search and couldn't find one that exists. 

I am cursed with weak teeth and often have uncomfortable dental procedures and/ or oral surgery. 

Tonight my mouth was numb for hours and I was exhausted from anxiety and nitrious that I made a box of Betty Crocker's Scallop Potatoes. 

I didn't want soup in case the numb half of my mouth didn't allow for consumption without a bib of some sort. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who deals with the need to eat after an uncomfortable dentist appointment. What do you all eat? I've found slowly nibbling on a grilled cheese to work, mashed potatoes of course are easy but sometimes you want protein so scrambled eggs are the only thing I can think of. 

Suggestions are welcome as I had a temporary cap put on and will have the permanent one to deal with in two weeks. 

MetsFan I'm Dental Surgeon in Brazil. I am periodontist and studied oral and maxilofacial surgery in Japan. 
In the first 24 hours after the surgery prefer cold and paste or soft food. Like yogurt, ice creams,  gelatin. Avoid chew int the surgery side. Cold compress in the face and cold food will avoid to increasing face edema and pain in first 24hours.

After 24 hours the cold compress and food have a opposite effect. It will cause the edema that exists longer decreasing. After 24 hours soups, risotos and warm and hot paste food will help you. In the first days.
After 2-3 days you can eat on the opposite side most off the food, avoid cruch and hard food.

Auro

Auro

In the first 24 hours after the surgery prefer cold and paste or soft food. Like yogurt, ice creams,  gelatin. Avoid chew int the surgery side. Cold compress in the face and cold food will avoid to increasing face edema in the first 24hours.

After 2-3 days you can eat on the opposite side most off the food, avoid cruch and hard food.