• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Cronker

Cronker

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

This is always a subject near and dear to my heart.  I always try to make at least twice what the two of us will eat at one meal.  And there's pretty much nothing that I can't freeze...as says kayb.   

Lasagna, Moussaka, Spanakopita, Bobotie, Meatballs, all kinds of soups, Mafe, Piccadillo, Enchiladas (no, not traditional...a Tex-Mex casserole), Tortiere, many Chinese dishes...I could probably keep on going but that should suffice for now and others will have lots of ideas.  Oh, and Tomato Sauce...a kind of generic which can be combined with spices and so on for Mexican, Greek, Italian.   DH makes that one.    

Freezing leftovers is where this all started!  There's only two of us in my home but I just can't seem to not make more than enough.

I should say that I also make from scratch naan bread and a range of condiments that aren't frozen.  I think it's really important to provide a full meal without cutting corners.  Everything is from scratch (ok, I don't mill my own flour!).

I have now been asked to come up with some menu items for his kids (single dad with two kids and three jobs!) - he wants them to eat healthier,  but understandably is concerned about high spice content.

thanks for the ideas so far

how well would the filo on a spanakopita hold up upon being frozen and thawed?

Cronker

Cronker

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

This is always a subject near and dear to my heart.  I always try to make at least twice what the two of us will eat at one meal.  And there's pretty much nothing that I can't freeze...as says kayb.   

Lasagna, Moussaka, Spanakopita, Bobotie, Meatballs, all kinds of soups, Mafe, Piccadillo, Enchiladas (no, not traditional...a Tex-Mex casserole), Tortiere, many Chinese dishes...I could probably keep on going but that should suffice for now and others will have lots of ideas.  Oh, and Tomato Sauce...a kind of generic which can be combined with spices and so on for Mexican, Greek, Italian.   DH makes that one.    

Freezing leftovers is where this all started!  There's only two of us in my home but I just can't seem to not make more than enough.

I should say that I also make from scratch naan bread and a range of condiments that aren't frozen.  I think it's really important to provide a full meal without cutting corners.  Everything is from scratch (ok, I don't mill my own flour!).

I have now been asked to come up with some menu items for his kids (single dad with two kids and three jobs!) - he wants them to eat healthier,  but understandably is concerned about high spice content.

thanks for the ideas so far