• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I totally see the equating of the sauteuse evasee with the Windsor; my question, though, is whether the splayed saute pan is the same as a sautesuse evassee/Windsor.  The section of Sam's article which gave rise to my query and [perhaps misguided] distinction was this:

"Sauté Pan (Sauteuse; also Curved Sauté Pan and Slant-Sided Sauté Pan): This pan has a large cooking surface and short straight sides that are approximately one quarter the diameter of the pan. The large cooking surface provides ample contact with the heat and the straight sides help contain ingredients as they are flipped around inside the pan to brown them evenly on all sides. A long, high handle helps the cook agitate the pan for even more movement. This is what it is to sauté. The French verb “sauter” means “to jump” -- so foods that are “sauté” are “jumped around in the pan.” A lid allows the addition of liquids to sautéed items for a quick braising. The Curved Sauté Pan and Slant-Sided Sauté Pan are similar, with the refinements implied by their names."

Later in the lecture he describes a different pan as the "sauteuse evasee", noting both the slant-sided version and the curved-sided version.  

I was thinking that the saute pan and the sauteuse evasee had different side-heights, and had noted that Mauviel describes both the pan in rotuts's original post and my link as a splayed sautee pan, and not as a sauteuse evasee.  So then I got confused by your seeming to equate them.  

SLB

SLB

I totally see the equating of the sauteuse evasee with the Windsor; my question, though, is whether the splayed saute pan is the same as a sautesuse evassee/Windsor.  The section of Sam's article which gave rise to my query and [perhaps misguided] distinction was this:

"Sauté Pan (Sauteuse; also Curved Sauté Pan and Slant-Sided Sauté Pan): This pan has a large cooking surface and short straight sides that are approximately one quarter the diameter of the pan. The large cooking surface provides ample contact with the heat and the straight sides help contain ingredients as they are flipped around inside the pan to brown them evenly on all sides. A long, high handle helps the cook agitate the pan for even more movement. This is what it is to sauté. The French verb “sauter” means “to jump” -- so foods that are “sauté” are “jumped around in the pan.” A lid allows the addition of liquids to sautéed items for a quick braising. The Curved Sauté Pan and Slant-Sided Sauté Pan are similar, with the refinements implied by their names."

Later in the lecture he describes a different pan as the "sauteuse evasee", noting both the slant-sided version and the curved-sided version.  

I was thinking that the saute pan and the sauteuse evasee had different side-heights, and had noted that Mauviel describes both the pan in rotuts's original post and my link as splayed sautee pan, and not as a sauteuse evasee.  So then I got confused by your seeming to equate them.