• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday brunch.

During the holiday, eating is a waste of time for my children. Although breakfast should be a balanced and calm meal, at this time it is eaten quickly and carelessly. Sometimes I need to wrest my children away from their play and nourish their young bodies with brunch.

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a very simple egg and vegetable brunch. Though my children like all vegetables, the look of the food made them anxious. Only the soft boiled eggs settled them down and got them eating. After a while there were two empty glasses in the dishwasher and my children could go back to playing. It was good, because the holiday is almost over.

Ingredients (for 3 people)
half an onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of butter
300g of courgette
1 red pepper
2 tomatoes
2 sprigs of rosemary
2 sprigs of thyme
3 tablespoons of minced chives
3 eggs

Dice the onion and garlic and fry them in butter. Remove the core from the tomatoes. Cube the courgette, tomatoes and red pepper. Put one of the cubed tomatoes to one side. Add the second tomato and the rest of the vegetables to the onion and stew on a low heat for 10 minutes. Boil some water and carefully put the eggs into the water. Boil for 5 minutes. Cool them down and carefully remove the shell. Mix the stewed vegetables in with the rest of the tomato. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables into a cup. Arrange the eggs on top and cut them up with a sharp knife. Spice up the egg with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives.
Serve at once.

Enjoy your meal!

DSC_0710b.jpg

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

• Similar Content

• By shain
      This is similar to Italian polenta. Bests served along sour cream, stews (of beans, mushrooms, or meat - for examples search for "tokana") and red wine.
      You have two options of serving it, resulting in different textures. If eaten fresh out of the oven, it is lightly set but creamy. If chilled overnight, it will solidify and resemble polenta made in the same fashion, at this point it eats more like cornbread.

Ingredients for quick stock - you can use 500ml of a pre made vegetable or chicken stock instead, you can also use store bought stock:
      6 bay leaves 3 all spice berries, cracked a few celery stalks or a large bunch of celery leaves (I have leaves left after using the stalk for mirepoix) optional: 1/2 carrot, chopped 550ml (2.5 cup) water or stock  
      Ingredients for mamaliga:
      250g of cornmeal 200ml (1 cup) milk 2 eggs optional:  apx 100g of crumbled brained ewe milk cheese (e.g. feta) apx 80g somewhat aged cheese, ewe milk cheese is preferred (Burduf will be traditional, I use Manchego and and some smoked mozzarella)  I appreciated the addition of smokiness, so if you don't include smoked cheese, maybe throw in a bit of smoked paprika or bacon salt to taste pepper some fresh thyme (optional and not traditional)  
      Prep:
      If making a quick stock, cook the water, bay leaves, all spice, celery and carrot - covered, until flavors are extracted. A pressure cooker makes quick work at that. Drain the stock, add the milk and cornmeal. Cook while stirring and scrapping the bottom until it is thickened. Let cool a little and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Bake at high heat (210C) until the top is set, apx 30 minutes. Place a few small pieces of butter on top and let them melt. You can chill it overnight to end up with a firmer texture, or resume baking immediately to end up with a softer creamier (but still set) texture. Bake until the top is crisp and well browned, ~15 minutes, or longer if it was chilled. Serve with stews, sour cream and wine.  

This image is of it baked without chilling, as you can see, it is fully set, but not firm.

And this is after crisping again the next day. Firmer, not as creamy. Can be eaten like cornbread.

• By shain
      Creamy pasta with a spicy pungent flavor.
      Best served with a bold red wine or a dark ale.

Serves four.

Mustard must be added to taste, I find the acidity to be the limiting factor, rather than its pungency, but if your mustard is very strong, you may need to use less and add a touch of vinegar.

400 g dried fettuccine or other wide pasta, or better, an equivalent amount of fresh egg pasta 250-300 champignon or other mushrooms, sliced thinly 3 tsp butter 1 medium onion, diced 4 garlic cloves, minced A small amount of chili 400g spinach leaves, stems removed, cut into ribbons Apx 1/4 cup half and half, or a bit less full fat cream 4-8 tsp Dijon mustard (add to taste), you can include some grainy mustard if you have it at hand Optional: 1 tsp nutritional yeast or a touch of MSG, if you like using it Optional: 1/2 to 1.5 tsp honey or dark brown sugar Salt to taste A generous grating of nutmeg Plenty of black pepper  

Cook mushrooms with some of the butter over high heat until lightly browned. Set aside. Add more of the butter and fry the onion until golden. Add remaining butter, garlic and chili. Fry briefly until aromatic. Cook the pasta very al dente. Drain well. Add it along with the mushroom, spinach and cream. Heat over low flame, until the spinach is wilting. Add mustard to taste, optional nutritional yeast or msg, optional honey or sugar, salt. All to taste. Add vinegar only if needed, add nutmeg. Plate and grind pepper on top.  

• By Ling
      Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.
      I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.
      5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja 2 c granulated sugar 1 c butter 1 T vanilla extract 4 eggs 1 c flour (dip and sweep) 2 T cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.
      2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.
      3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.
      4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.
      5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.
      6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.
      7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).
      "Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American
      ( RG1291 )
    • By Ling
      Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.
      I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.
      5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja 2 c granulated sugar 1 c butter 1 T vanilla extract 4 eggs 1 c flour (dip and sweep) 2 T cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.
      2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.
      3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.
      4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.
      5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.
      6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.
      7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).
      "Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American
      ( RG1291 )
    • By Ling
      I've already polished off half a box of Harvest Crunch Granola today. I haven't really eaten cereal in years, but these crunchy granola clusters are hard to resist.
      What's your favourite cereal, and what do you eat with it?
      (Big bowl, big spoon, and 2% milk for me.)