• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steeped in controversy: Tea guru in the fight of a lifetime

liuzhou

Yes, our government must wet its beak or you will be destroyed here. It's such a shame that individuals like this tea man, David Lee Hoffman, are so often crushed under the wheels of the machine of it. I think it's actually the cause of our ineffectiveness anymore. When motivated people were able to act freely, we came up with some really impressive innovations. Not so much anymore.

Lyme disease is harsh. I had a young friend in his twenties that got a replacement all metal hip because of it. The docs said the plastic wouldn't hold up in a person as young, and he would have to face other surgeries. I haven't heard from him in years, but I think about it every time those ads for law firms suing over metal replacements run.

In a kinder world, our government would be trying to help this tea man instead of tear him down.

> ^ . . ^ <

27 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

When motivated people were able to act freely, we came up with some really impressive innovations. Not so much anymore.

Yep!!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Great article. Thank you. Here's another article, in Saveur, about another American pu-ehr merchant, Paul Murray.

If you're hardcore about pu-erh, soon enough you'll hear about Paul. To some he's an enigmatic ambassador for a community of Western tea enthusiasts that trade brews and bravura in chat rooms and forums. To others he's a recalcitrant asshole who refuses to release enough details about his products and charges too much for them. In the world of pu-erh, such lacunae are more common than you'd think. Because while tea has drinkers, pu-erh has addicts. And here, in this magical grove on a mountain in Yunnan I'm not allowed to name, is a taste of the lengths those addicts will go to get their fix.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer