• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I guess the price of free health care in Canada is no choices for hospital food. Never saw a menu and waiting each meal was kind of a "how bad can this be?' waiting game. I had not one memorable meal and quickly came to rely on protein bars, fruit and whatever family and visitors brought for me.

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of variation across the country. Here in BC, it does depend on region and size of hospital. Vancouver General (as of a couple of years ago) gives a menu each morning so patients can order the next day's meals. 

Many BC hospitals were contracting food services out but are switching back to in-house workers. That began here on the Island and I am pretty sure our local hospital and the one at Campbell River both have in-house staff for meals now. I have been told that increased quality and choice of meals, but haven't had to try it out myself.  🙂

Edited to add: 

This, from St. Paul's Hospital, also in Vancouver:

MEALS

Patient meals are served at these times:

• Breakfast: 7.45 a.m. to 9.15 a.m.
  • Lunch: 12 noon to 1.15 p.m.
  • Dinner: 4.45 p.m. to 6.15 p.m.

Each day breakfast menus are provided for patients to select the following day’s meals. This menu is based on the diet prescribed by your doctor. If your doctor has prescribed a special diet for you, a dietitian will visit you as soon as possible. The dietitian will talk to you about the food you should be eating while in hospital and when you go home.

Family members are allowed to bring favourite foods from home for their relatives. There is a patient fridge on most wards. Before bringing food from home, please check with the dietitian about any dietary restrictions you may have. Each ward stocks apple and orange drinks that are available from your nurse.

FauxPas

FauxPas

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I guess the price of free health care in Canada is no choices for hospital food. Never saw a menu and waiting each meal was kind of a "how bad can this be?' waiting game. I had not one memorable meal and quickly came to rely on protein bars, fruit and whatever family and visitors brought for me.

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of variation across the country. Here in BC, it does depend on region and size of hospital. Vancouver General (as of a couple of years ago) gives a menu each morning so patients can order the next day's meals. 

Many BC hospitals were contracting food services out but are switching back to in-house workers. That began here on the Island and I am pretty sure our local hospital and the one at Campbell River both have in-house staff for meals now. I have been told that increased quality and choice of meals, but haven't had to try it out myself.  🙂