• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BeeZee

BeeZee

added comment

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

All the tomatoes (and some of the other produce I buy) have a packed on date.  And they're really not too great at rotating stock, so I generally dig through stuff - if the packing date is more than 6 or 7 days prior, just don't buy. I might be lucky, but have never had anything moldy; I've had stuff that doesn't ripen properly, that's for sure.

I know I checked the date on the bagged baby spinach before buying (nothing like a bag of green slime) but the tomatoes had no date, unfortunately. The culprits are some split/mashed/otherwise damaged ones at the bottom of the box. No big loss, they were tasteless, anyhow (despite looking suitably red). The remainder will probably go into soup.

BeeZee

BeeZee

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

All the tomatoes (and some of the other produce I buy) have a packed on date.  And they're really not too great at rotating stock, so I generally dig through stuff - if the packing date is more than 6 or 7 days prior, just don't buy. I might be lucky, but have never had anything moldy; I've had stuff that doesn't ripen properly, that's for sure.

I know I checked the date on the bagged baby spinach before buying (nothing like a bag of green slime) but the tomatoes had no date, unfortunately. The culprits are some split/mashed/otherwise damaged ones at the bottom of the box. No big loss, they were tasteless, anyhow. The remainder will probably go into soup.