• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

To add link.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night my family treated me to dinner at a favored Asian fusion restaurant -- basically Chinese stir fry with about fifty or sixty choices.  Only once have I seen another non-Chinese/maybe non-Korean table at the restaurant.  The restaurant is located in a heavily ethnically Asian area.  My granddaughter is finishing her second year of Mandarin and so far has made two trips to China.

Whether we dine on Asian cuisine or European we generally eat family style from a communal platter or from each other's plates.  Since I am a slow eater, without a full complement of dentation, last night I went away hungry.  Not that there wasn't an abundance of good things to eat, but there were two teenagers.

I recall that in traditional Nordic culture in times of scarcity, old ladies were sacrificed or left to starve.  Somehow I thought in the Chinese tradition it was not the same.

I can totally empathize.  One of the few good things about eating alone is that I can take as long as I need to eat whatever I choose.  In company, family or otherwise, I leave the table hungry.

This. (Duncan Campbell Scott:. The Forsaken).  

Anna N

Anna N

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night my family treated me to dinner at a favored Asian fusion restaurant -- basically Chinese stir fry with about fifty or sixty choices.  Only once have I seen another non-Chinese/maybe non-Korean table at the restaurant.  The restaurant is located in a heavily ethnically Asian area.  My granddaughter is finishing her second year of Mandarin and so far has made two trips to China.

Whether we dine on Asian cuisine or European we generally eat family style from a communal platter or from each other's plates.  Since I am a slow eater, without a full complement of dentation, last night I went away hungry.  Not that there wasn't an abundance of good things to eat, but there were two teenagers.

I recall that in traditional Nordic culture in times of scarcity, old ladies were sacrificed or left to starve.  Somehow I thought in the Chinese tradition it was not the same.

I can totally empathize.  One of the few good things about eating alone is that I can take as long as I need to eat whatever I choose.  In company, family or otherwise, I leave the table hungry.