• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The pie is beautiful, and the pie dish is a real find! It looks as though you baked the pie directly in the dish. Did you use the cover for any of that? I can see how that might help control browning and crispness. Whether that would be good or bad is another question.

@Smithy,  The person that I bought it from had never baked in it.  Only used it to take pies to potlucks.

I looked on line and found a number of different versions of the same thing, called both pie plates and pie servers. Couldn't find a picture where someone actually baked in it.   Most of the pictures referred to it as vintage.  No idea if it is old or new.  But it is made in Portugal.   Anyway, I figured since I only paid $5.00 for it, I really had nothing to lose if the pie plate broke in the oven.  Warned Moe that it would either work or I would be throwing out a pie.   Thankfully it worked.

ETA:  No, I did not cover the pie with the lid while it was baking.   I'm pretty sure it is only meant as decoration.

Ann_T

Ann_T

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

The pie is beautiful, and the pie dish is a real find! It looks as though you baked the pie directly in the dish. Did you use the cover for any of that? I can see how that might help control browning and crispness. Whether that would be good or bad is another question.

@Smithy,  The person that I bought it from had never baked in it.  Only used it to take pies to potlucks.

I looked on line and found a number of different versions of the same thing, called both pie plates and pie servers. Couldn't find a picture where someone actually baked in it.   Most of the pictures referred to it as vintage.  No idea if it is old or new.  But it is made in Portugal.   Anyway, I figured since I only paid $5.00 for it, I really had nothing to lose if the pie plate broke in the oven.  Warned Moe that it would either work or I would be throwing out a pie.   Thankfully it worked.