• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

On 8/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, kayb said:

My never-fail recipe for lemon icebox pie:

2 cans condensed milk

5 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

Beat well. Pour into graham cracker crumb crust and bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Cool and top with whipped cream, lightly sweetened. Makes 2 pies.

Very little is any simpler, or any better. The egg yolks also do away with the coloring issue.

I wonder if lime juice could be subbed for lemon.  I've done this with a lemon cheese pie.  

ps.  I'd be more likely to top it with a dark chocolate ganache than whipped cream.

Darienne

Darienne

On 8/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, kayb said:

My never-fail recipe for lemon icebox pie:

2 cans condensed milk

5 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

Beat well. Pour into graham cracker crumb crust and bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Cool and top with whipped cream, lightly sweetened. Makes 2 pies.

Very little is any simpler, or any better. The egg yolks also do away with the coloring issue.

I wonder if lime juice could be subbed for lemon.  I've done this with a lemon cheese pie.