• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

3 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

You can't really compare bread, pie pastry and choux - they're completely different preparations, for completely different purposes.

Try making a Paris Brest with bread or pie crust, and you'll see.

thanks for the info and it's nice to hear a Parisian's take on it. 

I did think about it and the choux creates this air pocket in the center that allows a cream custard center filling that bread and pie crust can't offer. 

And I know that the choux tastes really different when fully put together with a crunch caramel coating (salambos). 

So I end up with a contrast of textures - crunch on the outside, airy-ness from the chox, and then a soft cream caramel in the center. 

This contrast of different textures all in one bite is unique to choux and the experience is good 

It's not..hard to make..but I don't think it's as popular in American home kitchen's because it a lot of work without that much flavor 

The flavor seems to come from sugar (where it's fermentation in the case of bread) 

But the texture's great in choux pastries. I guess preference depends more on what you care more about - texture or flavor 

I'm a flavor guy so not for moi my Parisian amigo 

eugenep

eugenep

3 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

You can't really compare bread, pie pastry and choux - they're completely different preparations, for completely different purposes.

Try making a Paris Brest with bread or pie crust, and you'll see.

thanks for the info and it's nice to hear a Parisian's take on it. 

I did think about it and the choux creates this air pocket in the center that allows a cream custard center filling that bread and pie crust can't offer. 

And I know that the choux tastes really different when fully put together with a crunch caramel coating (salambos). 

So I end up with a contrast of textures - crunch on the outside, airy-ness from the chox, and then a soft cream caramel in the center. 

This contrast of different textures all in one bite is unique to choux and the experience is good 

It's not..hard to make..but I don't think it's as popular in American home kitchen's because it a lot of work without that much flavor 

The flavor seems to come from sugar (where it's fermentation in the case of bread) 

But the texture's great in choux pastries. I guess preference depends more on what you care more about - texture or flavor 

I'm a flavor guy not not for moi my Parisian amigo