• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

2 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

And I wanted to test a tarte au citron filling: the one Heston Blumenthal made in the early days of The Fat Duck when it was more of a French bistro. Rather than make a full batch I scaled everything down to ring-sized and brûléed it...

Lemon1.thumb.png.1f92e9d5b0315d51825906f607e6fb58.png

Lemon2.thumb.png.e6b896fd3e4d463525f7f291616a242a.png

In effect, a lemon crème brûlée. Errrr... lembrûlée?

Looks good. I love tarte au citron. Is it this recipe?

Filling
  • 5 lemons, zest finely grated and juiced
  • 300 ml double cream
  • 390 g white caster sugar
  • 9 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk

Place all the filling ingredients into a heatproof bowl and mix together using a spatula. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to warm up until the temperature reaches 60ºC. At this point, strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a jug. With a spoon, remove the bubbles from the surface of the liquid.

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

2 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

I can't remember the last time I had a rock cake (similar to a US scone, perhaps 🤷‍♂️)...

Rock.thumb.png.81f692b063090bd33ebc65245c75ad0a.png

Delightful. Will be making more of these.

Less successful were these cheese, anchovy and chilli biscuits (UK biscuit)...

Cheese.thumb.png.88d3e2984060d729f49fd26d3dbf9f35.png

Tasted good, but the texture wasn't quite right. I'll be sticking with Nigella's parmesan shortbreads for this kind of thing.

And I wanted to test a tarte au citron filling: the one Heston Blumenthal made in the early days of The Fat Duck when it was more of a French bistro. Rather than make a full batch I scaled everything down to ring-sized and brûléed it...

Lemon1.thumb.png.1f92e9d5b0315d51825906f607e6fb58.png

Lemon2.thumb.png.e6b896fd3e4d463525f7f291616a242a.png

In effect, a lemon crème brûlée. Errrr... lembrûlée?

Looks good. I love tarte au citron. Is it this recipe?

Filling
  • 5 lemons, zest finely grated and juiced
  • 300 ml double cream
  • 390 g white caster sugar
  • 9 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk

Place all the filling ingredients into a heatproof bowl and mix together using a spatula. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to warm up until the temperature reaches 60ºC. At this point, strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a jug. With a spoon, remove the bubbles from the surface of the liquid.

•