• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

Speaking of classics, I made a tarte aux fruits for my SO's team meeting a little while back. Crust, almond cream, pastry cream, apricots, raspberries, white and red currants, strawberry jelly, mint:

taRTE1.PNG.f45d2a303b8ccafedd43fad042fcccca.PNG

It definitely made the car smell nicer when I dropped it off, haha:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.9532a92cddd66e6bdb11203bc0c560d7.jpg

On 4/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, ElsieD said:

Ahhhhhh... strawberries.  As I look out all I see is snow covered ground.  We are a long ways away.  I too eat them daily once they arrive, until the local ones are done.  I don't bother with the imported ones as it seems to me they are grown for size, not flavour.

I'm not sure if you get them in Ottawa (they're all over sw ont), but Canada is a greenhouse powerhouse these days and they've introduced strawberries as a greenhouse crop. Let me tell you, I have been buying like $10 of strawberries a week since they started selling these under the PC brand back a couple of months ago - the US strawberries aren't worth buying, but these are like little concentrated bursts of summer. They're sweet enough to eat fresh, but I do like adding a bit extra.

jimb0

jimb0

Speaking of classics, I made a tarte aux fruits for my SO's team meeting a little while back:

taRTE1.PNG.f45d2a303b8ccafedd43fad042fcccca.PNG

It definitely made the car smell nicer when I dropped it off, haha:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.9532a92cddd66e6bdb11203bc0c560d7.jpg

On 4/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, ElsieD said:

Ahhhhhh... strawberries.  As I look out all I see is snow covered ground.  We are a long ways away.  I too eat them daily once they arrive, until the local ones are done.  I don't bother with the imported ones as it seems to me they are grown for size, not flavour.

I'm not sure if you get them in Ottawa, but Canada is a greenhouse powerhouse these days and they've introduced strawberries as a greenhouse crop. Let me tell you, I have been buying like $10 of strawberries a week since they started selling these under the PC brand back a couple of months ago - the US strawberries aren't worth buying, but these are like little concentrated bursts of summer. They're sweet enough to eat fresh, but I do like adding a bit extra.