• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, DougL said:

Plain white rice is the cheap white rice you get in the supermarket.

Spend a few milliseconds on the web, and you'll see beaucoup reassurances that slow cookers are GREAT for making rice. I "get" slow cookers, and use them for a lot of things, but I never tried making rice with them. Contrary to these reassurances, I am not impressed. Nobody said it was "better" with a slow cooker, but there are a lot of conveniences in using one.

The 2:1 is the standard water:rice ratio for just about any rice I've ever heard of.

Cheap white rice you get in the supermarket where? Rice varies immensely. Even different batches of the "same" rice can vary. Age, humidity and other factors come in to play.

Spend a few milliseconds on the internet and it will tell you that the moonlanding was fake. Or, even better, look up almost anything on Wikipedia. 

i live in China where we we usually cook and eat rice twice a day. No one uses 2:1. It is NOT standard. Although, washing off excess starch certainly is. I repeat: if your rice is so sticky and coming out in clups it is overwet and overcooked.

What are these conveniences you mention when it comes to cooking rice this way? It seems to me you have only made convenient glue.

(I am aware that slow cookers have their uses. I have two of the things myself.)

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, DougL said:

Spend a few milliseconds on the web, and you'll see beaucoup reassurances that slow cookers are GREAT for making rice. I "get" slow cookers, and use them for a lot of things, but I never tried making rice with them. Contrary to these reassurances, I am not impressed. Nobody said it was "better" with a slow cooker, but there are a lot of conveniences in using one.

The 2:1 is the standard water:rice ratio for just about any rice I've ever heard of.

Cheap white rice you get in the supermarket where? Rice varies immensely. Even different batches of the "same" rice can vary. Age, humidity and other factors come in to play.

Spend a few milliseconds on the internet and it will tell you that the moonlanding was fake. Or, even better, look up almost anything on Wikipedia. 

i live in China where we we usually cook and eat rice twice a day. No one uses 2:1. It is NOT standard. Although, washing off excess starch certainly is. I repeat: if your rice is so sticky and coming out in clups it is overwet and overcooked.

What are these conveniences you mention when it comes to cooking rice this way? It seems to me you have only made comnvenient glue.

(I am aware that slow cookers have their uses. I have two of the things myself.)

liuzhou

liuzhou

53 minutes ago, DougL said:

i live in China where we we usually cook and eat rice twice a day. No one uses 2:1. It is NOT standard. Aalthough, washing off excess starch certainly is.) I repeat: if your rice is so sticky and coming out in clups it is overwet and overcooked.

What are these conveniences you mention when it comes to cooking rice this way? It seems to me you have only made comnvenient glue.

liuzhou

liuzhou

43 minutes ago, DougL said:

i live in China where we we usually cook and eat rice twice a day. No one uses 2:1. It is NOT standard. I repeat if your rice is so sticky and coming out in clups it is overwet and overcooked.