• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SJMitch

SJMitch

Here is today's dinner, the last of our 9 dishes: Jerk Tempeh Tostadas from Purple Carrot (TB12).

Jerk Tempeh Tostada Recipe Card

If you take a look at the recipe card, you can clearly see they made the dish with hand-made tortillas for the official card photo.  We got machine-made ones.  Bah.  A good Mexican place is next to my favorite coffee shop, so I picked up some just-made tortillas on my way home.  My husband swiped one of them before the dish was done, so I gave him one of the machine-made ones as a replacement.  :-)   You can see our results with the machine-made tortilla from the box on the right and the two hand-made ones left and middle.

The dish made two salsas: a cooked and blended tomatillo sauce (I used a food processor) and a fresh mango salsa.  We served extra salsa on the side.  At the bottom of the stack of yummy ingredients is swiss chard.  I added onions, garlic, and Tajin clasico seasoning when cooking the chard for another layer of chile taste and to brighten the dish more (fresh serrano in the tomatillo salsa, fresh fresno in the mango salsa).

ourdish.jpg

SJMitch

SJMitch

Here is today's dinner, the last of our 9 dishes: Jerk Tempeh Tostadas from Purple Carrot (TB12).

If you take a look at the recipe card, you can clearly see they made the dish with hand-made tortillas for the official card photo.  We got machine-made ones.  Bah.  A good Mexican place is next to my favorite coffee shop, so I picked up some just-made tortillas on my way home.  My husband swiped one of them before the dish was done, so I gave him one of the machine-made ones as a replacement.  :-)   You can see our results with the machine-made tortilla from the box on the right and the two hand-made ones left and middle.

The dish made two salsas: a cooked and blended tomatillo sauce (I used a food processor) and a fresh mango salsa.  We served extra sauce on the side.  At the bottom of the stack of yummy ingredients is swiss chard.  I added onions, garlic, and Tajin clasico seasoning when cooking the chard fort another layer of chile taste and to brighten the dish more (fresh serrano in the tomatillo salsa, fresh fresno in the mango salsa).

ourdish.jpg

SJMitch

SJMitch

The dish made two salsas: a cooked and blended tomatillo sauce (I used a food processor) and a fresh mango salsa.  We served extra sauce on the side.  At the bottom of the stack of yummy ingredients is swiss chard.  I added onions and garlic and Tajin clasico seasoning when cooking to add another layer of chile taste and brighten the dish more (fresh serrano in the tomatillo salsa, fresh fresno in the mango salsa.

ourdish.jpg