• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:49 PM, Rajala said:

There's cinnamon there for sure. Top layer is a caramel with browned butter and vanilla. Middle layer is a ganache made out of milk and dark chocolate with more browned butter, cinnamon, and vanilla as well. Bottom layer is the crispy part with Zéphyr caramel, browned butter, some extra cocoa butter, coconut oil and cinnamon bun crusts (not sure what to call it really), but they sell like dried cinnamon buns at the local store, so I just crushed them to pieces and blended it in.

@Rajala has been kind enough to send me the link to the cinnamon bun bonbon recipe on his website. One rather humorous note:  If you have Google translate the page from Swedish to English, the "Krisplager" (crisp layer) gets translated as "crisis layer."  But all is well--no crisis developed.  The mold, which is perfect for the bonbon, suggesting the swirl on top of a cinnamon bun, is Cabrellon 6442.  I could not find an importer of Cabrellon in the U.S., but the mold can be ordered directly from Cabrellon or from Chocolat Chocolat in Montreal, Canada (4-6 weeks delivery time).  Side note:  too bad Cabrellon molds are so difficult to obtain in the U.S. They have a large catalogue with lots of tempting molds. One interesting fact I discovered in the process of getting the molds from Europe:  anything with a value under $800 enters the U.S. duty-free--I did not know that.  I had the shipment within three days of placing the order.

I served this bonbon recently with other chocolates at a party.  It was the item that got most of the attention and positive comments. After a lot of experimentation and tasting, I made a few changes to the recipe (which Rajala and I have discussed). For the ganache, I used Valrhona Orelys, which has some brown sugar/molasses notes, instead of the mixture of dark and milk chocolate in the recipe. For the crispy layer, I could find nothing like the Swedish crispy cinnamon buns Rajala included, so used a recipe for cinnamon bun cookies (sugar cookie dough with cinnamon and sugar, rolled up, sliced, baked until crisp, then ground coarsely in a small food processor).  To the crumbs I added Valrhona Opalys and spooned it on top of the ganache (the crumbs were much too coarse to pipe).  I used 65% dark chocolate for the shell to reduce the sweetness.  I'm about to try a version with a 72% dark to reduce the sweetness further.

This is a delicious chocolate, and I send my thanks to Rajala for sharing it and discussing it in innumerable back-and-forth emails.

cinnamonbun.jpg.68c62d6d8793dc5aad9b9d8d9985949c.jpg

Top layer is dark caramel with sea salt, next layer (not really visible) is a few toasted pecans, large middle layer is cinnamon, browned butter, and Orelys ganache, thin bottom layer is coarsely crumbled cookies surrounded by a little white chocolate.

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:49 PM, Rajala said:

There's cinnamon there for sure. Top layer is a caramel with browned butter and vanilla. Middle layer is a ganache made out of milk and dark chocolate with more browned butter, cinnamon, and vanilla as well. Bottom layer is the crispy part with Zéphyr caramel, browned butter, some extra cocoa butter, coconut oil and cinnamon bun crusts (not sure what to call it really), but they sell like dried cinnamon buns at the local store, so I just crushed them to pieces and blended it in.

@Rajala has been kind enough to send me the link to the cinnamon bun bonbon recipe on his website. One rather humorous note:  If you have Google translate the page from Swedish to English, the "Krisplager" (crisp layer) gets translated as "crisis layer."  But all is well--no crisis developed.  The mold, which is perfect for the bonbon, suggesting the swirl on top of a cinnamon bun, is Cabrellon 6442.  I could not find an importer of Cabrellon in the U.S., but the mold can be ordered directly from Cabrellon or from Chocolat Chocolat in Montreal, Canada (4-6 weeks delivery time).  Side note:  too bad Cabrellon molds are so difficult to obtain in the U.S. They have a large catalogue with lots of tempting molds. One interesting fact I discovered in the process of getting the molds from Europe:  anything with a value under $800 enters the U.S. duty-free--I did not know that.  I had the shipment within three days of placing the order.

I served this bonbon recently with other chocolates at a party.  It was the item that got most of the attention and positive comments. After a lot of experimentation and tasting, I made a few changes to the recipe (which Rajala and I have discussed). For the ganache, I used Valrhona Orelys, which has some brown sugar/molasses notes, instead of the mixture of dark and milk chocolate in the recipe. For the crispy layer, I could find nothing like the Swedish crispy cinnamon buns Rajala included, so used a recipe for cinnamon bun cookies (sugar cookie dough with cinnamon and sugar, rolled up, sliced, baked until crisp, then ground coarsely in a small food processor).  To the crumbs I added Valrhona Opalys and spooned it on top of the ganache (the crumbs were much too coarse to pipe).  I used 65% dark chocolate for the shell to reduce the sweetness.  I'm about to try a version with a 72% dark to reduce the sweetness further.

This is a delicious chocolate, and I send my thanks to Rajala for sharing it and discussing it in innumerable back-and-forth emails.

cinnamonbun.jpg.68c62d6d8793dc5aad9b9d8d9985949c.jpg

Top layer is dark caramel with sea salt, next layer (not really visible) is a few toasted pecans, large middle layer is cinnamon, browned butter, and Orelys ganache, thin bottom layer is coarsely crumbled cookies surrounded by a little white chocolate.