• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chocoguyin Pemby

Chocoguyin Pemby

I made some passion fruit mango caramels for the first time tonight.  They taste great but are softer than I expected.  I make a lot of caramel and cooked this the same way i always do and cooked it too 255F.  I used frozen puree - should I reduce the purees before adding to the caramel - I added it with the cream by subbing the purees for half the cream of the same weight.   I really like the flavour profile just want them to be a little firmer.  Should I just cook the caramel to a higher temp ?    It was also a very different consistency when I poured it into the silicone molds - much more fluid than the caramel I normally make but it set up a lot firmer than I expected just not as firm as I wanted. 

I didn't use a recipe - made my own using sugar, corn syrup, cream, purees, butter, vanilla and salt.

Any trouble shooting or suggestions appreciated.  The picture is of the caramels waiting to be dipped in dark chocolate tomorrow. 

C7281D46-D168-4EEE-A5F9-660443ED8B02.jpeg

Chocoguyin Pemby

Chocoguyin Pemby

I made some passion fruit mango caramels for the first time tonight.  They taste great but are softer than I expected.  I make a lot of caramel and cooked this the same way i always do and cooked it too 255F.  I used frozen puree - should I reduce the purees before adding to the caramel - I added it with the cream by subbing the purees for half the cream of the same weight.   I really like the flavour profile just want them to be a little firmer.  Should I just cook the caramel to a higher temp ?    It was also a very different consistency when I puored it into the silicone molds - much more fluid than the caramel I normally make but it set up a lot firmer than I expected just not as firm as I wanted. 

I didn't use a recipe - made my own using sugar, corn syrup, cream, purees, butter, vanilla and salt.

Any trouble shooting or suggestions appreciated.  The picture is of the caramels waiting to be dipped in dark chocolate tomorrow. 

C7281D46-D168-4EEE-A5F9-660443ED8B02.jpeg