• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jamal12

Jamal12

6 hours ago, keychris said:

There's a few of us floating around on here that are also subscribed to Savour ;)

Perhaps when you post your pics, just give us a description of what they are and what flavours you're playing with. I quite like the look (even blurry!) of the blue and pink ones, and the gold pattern you've applied to the domes.

Cool so I am not alone with savour here, but since I am overseas on the online I am getting only crumbs of what you full timers are getting.  That was just a first time post since I am a bit overwhelmed being new in this and amazed  with the results. So I just posted.  Next time I will. 

shame I used my old phone to photo these that is why it is blurry and I wanted to photo them before my family who love my bonbons finish them off. 

Blue and red one is from a diamond polycabonate mold. I use what is available here and as far as chocolate is concerned in this country not very much is available.  For cakes and everything else there are loads of colours available.  But since the blockade on Qatar there has been some stuff not available and before if there was any thing needed Dubai was a hub next door for anything.  Nowadays I have to order online and shipping is a killer.  The powders we get here are from sugarflair the blue and the red that I mixed in cocoa butter.  The red became a bit pink because while still learning a friend who is a pastry chef mentioned that because cocoa butter had a little colour to it.  A bit yellow to get a good red add a little white to it which I did.  And got a pink instead.  That was before I enrolled with savour school.  It was there that I learnt the ratio of cocoa butter and powder colour.  Kirsten Tibballs explains it well.  So it is a blue and red the is some faint yellow and some white there aswell finger painted on a diamond mold with dark couverture. 

As for the gold that is rainbow dust metallic gold.  the local baking and crafts shop had only gold and silver although I wanted the whole metallic collection.  I get my block of cocoa butter from Ghana from a Ghanaian expat who lives here and brings them for me. That too not too cheap. 

That too was finger painted with dark couverture.

The fact that whole chocolate  is not actually chocolate per second I am not too keen on using it.  I find many chefs use white chocolate a lot.  I find the taste different since it has no chocolate solids. 

I ordered chefmaster colours and recently spires kitchen chocolates cocoa butter colours. There are 2 sets of the cocoa colours I have not started using them yet.  I wanted to finish the ones I made. Many companies  don't ship to Qatar so I have mailing addresses in 6 major countries with courier. But they charge a lot too so bothered post and courier there are charges. Even when the company offers free shipping on that end I still have to pay the courier charge this end. Or some molds I got from China free shipping takes a month to get here.  

Well thats my lot. Cya

Jamal12

Jamal12

5 hours ago, keychris said:

There's a few of us floating around on here that are also subscribed to Savour ;)

Perhaps when you post your pics, just give us a description of what they are and what flavours you're playing with. I quite like the look (even blurry!) of the blue and pink ones, and the gold pattern you've applied to the domes.

Cool so I am not alone with savour here, but since I am overseas on the online I am getting only crumbs of what you full timers are getting.  That was just a first time post since I am a bit overwhelmed being new in this and amazed  with the results. So I just posted.  Next time I will. 

shame I used my old phone to photo these that is why it is blurry and I wanted to photo them before my family who love my bonbons finish them off. 

Blue and red one is from a diamond polycabonate mold. I use what is available here and as far as chocolate is concerned in this country not very much is available.  For cakes and everything else there are loads of colours available.  But since the blocks de on Qatar there has been some stuff not available and before if there was any thing needed Dubai was a hub next door for anything.  Nowadays I have to order online and shipping is a killer.  The powders we get here are from sugarflair the blue and the red that I mixed in cocoa butter.  The red became a bit pink because while still learning a friend who is a pastry chef mentioned that because cocoa butter had a little colour to it.  A bit yellow to get a good red add a little white to it which I did.  And got a pink instead.  That was before I enrolled with savour school.  It was there that I learnt the ratio of cocoa butter and powder colour.  Kirsten Tibballs explains it well.  So it is a blue and red the is some faint yellow and some white there aswell finger painted on a diamond mold with dark couverture. 

As for the gold that is rainbow dust metallic gold.  the local baking and crafts shop had only gold and silver although I wanted the whole metallic collection.  

That too was finger painted with dark couverture.

The fact that whole chocolate  is not actually chocolate per second I am not too keen on using it.  I find many chefs use white chocolate a lot.  I find the taste different since it has no chocolate solids. 

I ordered chefmaster colours and recently spires kitchen chocolates cocoa butter colours. There are 2 sets of the cocoa colours I have not started using them yet.  I wanted to finish the ones I made. Many companies  don't ship to Qatar so I have mailing addresses in 6 major countries with courier. But they charge a lot too so bothered post and courier there are charges. Even when the company offers free shipping on that end I still have to pay the courier charge this end. Or some molds I got from China free shipping takes a month to get here.  

Well thats my lot. Cya