• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

RobynE

RobynE

heidih -- thanks so much for the kind words, and the shout-out here.

liuzhou -- your check is in the mail. ;)

Okanagancook -- I hope we'll find a Canadian publisher, but we won't know for some time. I don't know if Book

Depository ships to Canada or not but it offers deep discounts.

In regards to how 'Istanbul and Beyond' will compare to Somer's book, which I have and I love ...

my book focuses on regional Turkish cuisines. Dishes are divided into chapters focusing on regions instead of dish types.

In a way I am arguing that there is no such thing as 'Turkish food' because the country's incredibly diverse landscapes, along with history and migration, have

given rise to a mosaic of culinary regions whose foods are highly localized (it's no exaggeration to say that you may find a dish

in village A that the residents of village B, just 50 kilometres away, have never heard of).
I start in Istanbul to orient the reader, and then in the following 6 chapters cover (not comprehensively) Turkey's lesser-visited eastern half.
It's not a culinary travelogue but a look at some local ingredients (and how they are made) and culinary customs, plus a collection of recipes from home and

lokanta cooks, food producers and farmers, fishermen and market vendors that my husband, who photographed the book, and I spent time

with during the 16 months we devoted to research. Many recipes will be unfamiliar to most north Americans.
I hope that readers will be excited to discover these bits of eastern Turkey that I visit, some of which are not now safe to travel in (we were lucky in timing). But

mostly I hope that they find the food as interesting and delicious as I and my husband do. 
Well, that's long-winded. But get me started and I can talk (write) about Turkey, and Turkish food, forever....
Cheers.

RobynE

RobynE

heidih -- thanks so much for the kind words, and the shout-out here.

liuzhou -- your check is in the mail. ;)

Okanagancook -- I hope we'll find a Canadian publisher, but we won't know for some time. I don't know if Book

Depository ships to Canada or not but

In regards to how 'Istanbul and Beyond' will compare to Somer's book, which I have and I love ...

my book focuses on regional Turkish cuisines. Dishes are divided into chapters focusing on regions instead of dish types.

In a way I am arguing that there is no such thing as 'Turkish food' because the country's incredibly diverse landscapes, along with history and migration, have

given rise to a mosaic of culinary regions whose foods are highly localized (it's no exaggeration to say that you may find a dish

in village A that the residents of village B, just 50 kilometres away, have never heard of).
I start in Istanbul to orient the reader, and then in the following 6 chapters cover (not comprehensively) Turkey's lesser-visited eastern half.
It's not a culinary travelogue but a look at some local ingredients (and how they are made) and culinary customs, plus a collection of recipes from home and

lokanta cooks, food producers and farmers, fishermen and market vendors that my husband, who photographed the book, and I spent time

with during the 16 months we devoted to research. Many recipes will be unfamiliar to most north Americans.
I hope that readers will be excited to discover these bits of eastern Turkey that I visit, some of which are not now safe to travel in (we were lucky in timing). But

mostly I hope that they find the food as interesting and delicious as I and my husband do. 
Well, that's long-winded. But get me started and I can talk (write) about Turkey, and Turkish food, forever....
Cheers.