• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Punctuation

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Kibbeh - some of the best I've had - so many are a bit tough, skimpy on the filling. He pronounced it differently than I do - but I was taught to make it by a Palestinian so perhaps it's pronounced differently? I've not had kushari before and I did enjoy it. Where would the lemon with garlic sauce be used in this combination of food?

It goes on the kushari. The kushari joints we visited always served up the bowl without the seasonings. At the table there would be a bottle of garlic/lemon sauce (the Egyptians call it "limoon") and a bottle of hot pepper sauce ("shatta" I think). We called it liquid blow torch. Holy smokes, that stuff was hot! I suspect that's the dark red container in the middle of your condiments.

Although the red sauce was hot, it was also delicious at our favorite place, with a delightful piquancy and fruit as long as it was used sparingly enough that we didn't sear our taste buds. One year I bought 2 quarts' worth of it to bring home to the States. That isn't something they normally do, but they were happy to fill my jars. I closed the jars tightly, double-bagged them in Ziplock bags, wrapped them in dirty laundry, double-bagged again...basically gave them the hazmat treatment to get them home without wrecking our luggage or the airplane. Two weeks later all the sweetness had gone away, and there was nothing but savage heat. What a shame! What a surprise for our Egyptian food party!

Smithy

Smithy

34 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Kibbeh - some of the best I've had - so many are a bit tough, skimpy on the filling. He pronounced it differently than I do - but I was taught to make it by a Palestinian so perhaps it's pronounced differently? I've not had kushari before and I did enjoy it. Where would the lemon with garlic sauce be used in this combination of food?

It goes on the kushari. The kushari joints we visited always served up the bowl without the seasonings. At the table there would be a bottle of garlic/lemon sauce (the Egyptians call it "limoon" and a bottle of hot pepper sauce ("shatta" I think). We called it liquid blow torch. Holy smokes, that stuff was hot! I suspect that's the dark red container in the middle of your condiments.

Although the red sauce was hot, it was also delicious at our favorite place, with a delightful piquancy and fruit as long as it was used sparingly enough that we didn't sear our taste buds. One year I bought 2 quarts' worth of it to bring home to the States. That isn't something they normally do, but they were happy to fill my jars. I closed the jars tightly, double-bagged them in Ziplock bags, wrapped them in dirty laundry, double-bagged again...basically gave them the hazmat treatment to get them home without wrecking our luggage or the airplane. Two weeks later all the sweetness had gone away, and there was nothing but savage heat. What a shame! What a surprise for our Egyptian food party!