• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

Ive done SBE's in the past as above.

I can't ref.  my times and temps , as that notebook is missing.

more or less :    SV 1 - 2 doz  eggs , direct from the refrig ,  time and temp missing here

then rapidly chill , and dry off.  place back in the refrig.

in AM :  take two eggs out , for example.   I had have an old OXO small salad spinner 

w the hard white plastic insert that had broken.  I add hot tap water to the outer plastic container

again temp not available    and the basket , which is set on three plastic jug caps , to keep the basket off the

bottom of the outer container.  add the eggs , and microwave for   , a set time.   the caps keep the eggs in the center of the

hot water.   then I go about my AM business :  make the coffee , feed the cat , etc etc

make some toast.    then crack the SBE's over the hot toast , and scoop out any remaining egg white , if any

presto , two soft boiled eggs on toast in the morning.

the part I liked about this method , is its fool proof , and does not require any timed attention.

the Oxo water bath ended up just heating the precious cooked eggs to serving temp , and did not change

the eggs texture.   I might have to try this again.  works well

and its mind-less , a key in the AM while waiting for the Coffee.

rotuts

rotuts

Ive done SBE's in the past as above.

I can't ref.  my times and temps , as that notebook is missing.

more or less :    SV 1 - 2 doz  eggs , direct from the refrig ,  time and temp missing here

then rapidly chill , and dry off.  place back in the refrig.

in AM :  take two eggs out , for example.   I had have an old OXO small salad spinner 

w the hard white plastic insert that had broken.  I add hot tap water to the outer plastic container

again temp not available    and the basket , which is set on three plastic jug caps , to keep the basket off the

bottom of the outer container.  add the eggs , and microwave for   , a set time.   the caps keep the eggs in the center of the

hot water.   then I go about my AM business :  make the coffee , feed the cat , etc etc

make some toast.    then crack the SBE's over the hot toast , and scoop out any remaining egg white , if any

presto , two soft boiled eggs on toast in the morning.

the part I liked about this method , is its fool proof , and does not require any timed attention.

the water bath ended up just heating the precious cooked eggs to serving temp , and not changine

the eggs texture.   I might have to try this again.  works well

and is mind-less , a ket in the AM while eating for the Coffee.