• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

Made surf and turf for my dad’s birthday.

63A46132-D695-4F43-B658-480A26982FBB.thumb.jpeg.ca1e5f3b5386470d9d64c67f937d67c8.jpeg

Cut the fat cap off the rib roast and rendered it down. Used that beef fat to throw an epic sear on the roast in my trusty Darto No. 27. Then into the bag with more beef fat for five hours at 135F. Then a final oven sear at 500F with convection.

When I pulled the roast from the bath, I upped the temp to 140F and dropped the lobster in. I butterflied the tails and tucked the meat back into the shell. Then I put all my mother's teaspoons into a Ziplock bag and sealed it up using the displacement method. I put those spoons in a chamber vacuum bag with a pound of Kerrygold butter and some lemon zest. The spoons keep the bag from floating, since butter is lighter than water. The lobster tails went in for like 45 minutes while I finished up. The mashed potatoes hung out in the bath too, keeping warm for "service." When everyone was ready, I pulled the lobster tails, untucked the meat from its shell, covered the flesh with a generous amount of cubed butter, and broiled them briefly. The texture was exquisite. I wish I'd made more.

Another bonus of cooking the lobster this way is that you end up with a bag filled with lobster-infused butter, and you can just pour the clarified butter off the top of the bag. The lemon peel does impart a nice flavor to the butter as well. 

btbyrd

btbyrd

Made surf and turf for my dad’s birthday.

63A46132-D695-4F43-B658-480A26982FBB.thumb.jpeg.ca1e5f3b5386470d9d64c67f937d67c8.jpeg

Cut the fat cap off the rib roast and rendered it down. Used that beef fat to throw an epic sear on the roast in my trusty Darto No. 27. Then into the bag with more beef fat for five hours at 135C. Then a final oven sear at 500F with convection.

When I pulled the roast from the bath, I upped the temp to 140F and dropped the lobster in. I butterflied the tails and tucked the meat back into the shell. Then I put all my mother's teaspoons into a Ziplock bag and sealed it up using the displacement method. I put those spoons in a chamber vacuum bag with a pound of Kerrygold butter and some lemon zest. The spoons keep the bag from floating, since butter is lighter than water. The lobster tails went in for like 45 minutes while I finished up. The mashed potatoes hung out in the bath too, keeping warm for "service." When everyone was ready, I pulled the lobster tails, untucked the meat from its shell, covered the flesh with a generous amount of cubed butter, and broiled them briefly. The texture was exquisite. I wish I'd made more.

Another bonus of cooking the lobster this way is that you end up with a bag filled with lobster-infused butter, and you can just pour the clarified butter off the top of the bag. The lemon peel does impart a nice flavor to the butter as well.