• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 9/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, chromedome said:

Those look very like what I know as a "Wagon Wheel" here in Canada

Wagon Wheels were invented in Britain by Burton's Bakery Co. which still makes them. The company started in 1935, although the Burton family had being make biscuits since the mid 1800s. They still sell 125 million Wagon Wheels a year in the UK alone.

In 2013, the company was bought by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, who in turn sold it on in 2021. It is now owned by a Ferraro related company. Still based in Birmingham, England they sell Wagon Wheels in 170 countries around the world.

Those I received are a Chinese clone. and although it's over 60 years since I ate an original one, they appear very similar to what I remember. Not very pleasant. The Chinese name has no relation to Wagon Wheels, though; it translates as 'Daily Garden'. The company, Dali Food Group was founded in 1989 and is headquartered in Hui'an, Fujian Province, opposite Taiwan.

It seems they entered China during the British rule of Hong Kong.

https://www.burtonsbiscuits.com

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Those look very like what I know as a "Wagon Wheel" here in Canada

Wagon Wheels were invented in Britain by Burton's Bakery Co. which still makes them. The company started in 1935, although the Burton family had being make biscuits since the mid 1800s. They still sell 125 million Wagon Wheels a year in the UK alone.

In 2013, the company was bought by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, who in turn sold it on in 2021. It is now owned by a Ferraro related company. Still based in Birmingham, England they sell Wagon Wheels in 170 countries around the world.

Those I received are a Chinese clone. and although it's over 60 years since I ate an original one, they appear very similar to what I remember. Not very pleasant. The Chinese name has no relation to Wagon Wheels, though; it translates as 'Daily Garden'. The company, Dali Food Group was founded in 1989 and is headquartered in Hui'an, Fujian Province, opposite Taiwan.

https://www.burtonsbiscuits.com