• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

On 1/2/2017 at 3:01 PM, quiet1 said:

One of the reasons I find it hard to teach people how to cook (friends, relatives who ask for tips) is some people are really very dedicated to following recipes and I go with my 'gut' a fair bit so I get frustrated when I can see there is a problem in the recipe but they insist on following it anyway. This particularly comes up for me with ingredients, as with produce you may not be able to get exactly what is called for, or a slightly different type might look better/fresher on shopping day. If my mom is following a recipe and the store had no Red Delicious apples, that's the end of being able to make an apple pie for her, she won't look to see what other apples are available that would also work. Drives me nuts.

My husband does this. It drives me nuts. It's one reason we have 4 different types of flour, 3 different types of onions and 3 different types of salt.

And yes, no granny smiths, no apple pie! :S

There have been knock-out fights about this, with him storming out of the kitchen.

I'm like, "Really? Over yeast?"

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

On 1/2/2017 at 3:01 PM, quiet1 said:

One of the reasons I find it hard to teach people how to cook (friends, relatives who ask for tips) is some people are really very dedicated to following recipes and I go with my 'gut' a fair bit so I get frustrated when I can see there is a problem in the recipe but they insist on following it anyway. This particularly comes up for me with ingredients, as with produce you may not be able to get exactly what is called for, or a slightly different type might look better/fresher on shopping day. If my mom is following a recipe and the store had no Red Delicious apples, that's the end of being able to make an apple pie for her, she won't look to see what other apples are available that would also work. Drives me nuts.

My husband does this. It drives me nuts. It's one reason we have 4 different types of flour, 3 different types of onions and 3 different types of salt.

And yes, no granny smiths, no apple pie! :S

There have been knock-out fights about this, with him storming out of the kitchen. I'm like, "Really? Over yeast?"