• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

Have a friend who was a newspaper reporter for a mid-sized city back in the 1960s.  The editor required every reporter to spend one day a month taking incoming phone calls from the public.  My friend said without doubt most calls had to do with the newspaper's weekly recipe column (which were usually bought from a service).  There were no food editors back in the 1960s in small city newsrooms and certainly no kitchen-testing was done.  Errors like 1/2 cup of salt, instead of 1/2 teaspoon of salt were not uncommon and my friend presumes these same recipes were printed in newspapers all across America.  

When I lived in Mexico for five years, I wrote a recipe column for a monthly ex-pat magazine.  Many of the recipes were ones I gleaned from local women at markets or at their homes (and my Spanish is not all that good).  And while I kitchen-tested each recipe and (thought I was) being assiduous in my ingredient lists and directions, I was always amazed at the errors/omissions I caught before submitting to my editor.  A few got past me; my editor (who had written this monthly column previous to my stint) caught those.  Well, all but one.  

I have a great amount of respect for food writers, but I always try to make sense of a new recipe before I start assembling ingredients and cooking.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

Have a friend who was a newspaper reporter for a mid-sized city back in the 1960s.  The editor required every reporter to spend one day a month taking incoming phone calls from the public.  My friend said without doubt most calls had to do with the newspaper's weekly recipe column (which were usually bought from a service).  There were few food editors back in the 1960s in small city newsrooms and certainly no kitchen-testing was done.  Errors like 1/2 cup of salt, instead of 1/2 teaspoon of salt were not uncommon and my friend presumes these same recipes were printed in newspapers all across America.  

When I lived in Mexico for five years, I wrote a recipe column for a monthly ex-pat magazine.  Many of the recipes were ones I gleaned from local women at markets or at their homes (and my Spanish is not all that good).  And while I kitchen-tested each recipe and (thought I was) being assiduous in my ingredient lists and directions, I was always amazed at the errors/omissions I caught before submitting to my editor.  A few got past me; my editor (who had written this monthly column previous to my stint) caught those.  Well, all but one.  

I have a great amount of respect for food writers, but I always try to make sense of a new recipe before I start assembling ingredients and cooking.