• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

22 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My best guess was that the cherries made it Oriental, 'cause Japanese cherries, right? But I guess the smilax was the pertinent detail. 

A couple of the others are head-scratchers, too...the Mexican sandwich is baked beans and ketchup on crackers, and the Indian sandwich is candied ginger and candied orange peel with heavy cream.

I think we also have to take into consideration that many of our fore bearers were self aggrandizing morons with no conception of global cuisine.

That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed the book and all the contributions to this thread.  Snarky or otherwise.

IndyRob

IndyRob

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My best guess was that the cherries made it Oriental, 'cause Japanese cherries, right? But I guess the smilax was the pertinent detail. 

A couple of the others are head-scratchers, too...the Mexican sandwich is baked beans and ketchup on crackers, and the Indian sandwich is candied ginger and candied orange peel with heavy cream.

I think we also have to take into consideration that many of our fore bearers were self aggrandizing morons with no conception of global cuisine.

That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed all the contributions to this thread.  Snarky or otherwise.