• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evolution of Leftovers

Jim Dixon

Last night I ate a great bowl of pasta...penne with celery root in apple juice, hard cider, parmigiano, and cream. But it was the evolved end product of two weeks’ worth of leftovers.

For New Year’s Eve I braised a pork shoulder in caramelized onions with apple juice and French hard cider (low alcohol and fizzy). When the pork was finally knocked off a few days later, I still had a few cups of the braising liquid, the apple juice and cider fortified with a bit of olive oil (from cooking the onions) and pork fat.

Late last week I turned this into a soup by cutting a celery root into small cubes and simmering them in the braising liquid. I used a potato masher to coarsely smash the cubes, added a bit of creme fraiche, and ate the soup with some crusty bread. Very nice, although maybe a bit sweet, but the celery root went well with the apple flavor.

I was down to about a cup of the soup, by now thickened from a couple of heatings. I heated it again with a handful of leftover cooked penne, a good grinding of sea salt, about a quarter cup of cream, and maybe half cup of fresh grated parm. Let that come to a boil and cook for a few minutes.

The added cream and parm cut the sweetness, and it was one of the nicest bowls of creamy pasta I’ve eaten for awhile. The problem, of course, is making it again.

Jim

Edited by Jim Dixon (log)

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

ROTFL!! You have just told the story of my 44 year marriage! How do you explain to a man who doesn't cook that the fabulous creation at dinner last night was the serendipidous combination of half a cup of braise gravy, some flavor concentrated (read: aged ) mushrooms, a long-in-the-tooth parsnip, several scraps of unidentifiable cheese, etc., etc.. He, an engineer, begs for me to keep "lab notes" so I can repeat these masterpieces, and I smile, shake my head and wish that "Men are from Mars...." had come out decades ago!

eGullet member #80.

ROTFPWMP!

Jim, I am very experienced in the phenom you describe. Ah well, chalk it up to culinary serindipity, a dinnertime Shangri-La, and wait for the next time.

It sounds really good.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Nice work Jim, you have given me inspiration. Last week I came close to work when we had leftover spaghetti squash with spinach, feta something else or the other. Quite tasty, but when I reheated it on the stove with a couple pieces of bacon, then the dish was complete. But I hardly think this counts as evolution, it's just taking a nice vegetarian dish and adding pork. What dish isn't better when bacon is added?

Jim, I thought everybody cooked that way. :blink: Then again, maybe not if the Dinner thread is to be believed. :laugh: What a shame restaurants can't do that (Mrs. Blaskovic of the NYC Health Department said one re-heat and then it's garrrrbage). :sad:

All I know is, I can't make beef braciole if I haven't first made meatloaf to mash up for the filling. And to make the meatloaf, I need to have made stuffed veal breast, to have excess mushroom stuffing. And for the veal, I needed to make ... well, you get the idea. Margaret P, you are SO right!

Dave -

guessing:

ROTFL - Rolling On The Floor Laughing?

ROTFPWMP - Rolling On The Floor Practically Wetting My Pants?!?!?!?!

Margaret?

Maggie?

Help?

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

Thanks, Steverino. I had parsed the O and T correctly, but went down the wrong path on the F, thinking it a gerund, rather than a noun. Things just fell apart after that.

And now I realize that I've seen ROTFL before. But that Maggie, she's a clever babe, and not above a little teasing, I think.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave -

guessing:

Margaret?

Maggie?

Help?

or ROTFLMAOF

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Dave -

guessing:

Margaret?

Maggie?

Help?

Steverino....Ba ding! Right on.

Dave: Me? Tease? Moi? :rolleyes:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maybe instead of (or in addition to) the market basket challenge, we should have a leftover challenge...

As we drive back from our cabin in the summer on Sunday afternoons, we tune into KAXE (a fabulous PBS station based out of Grand Rapids, MN), and listen to The Splendid Table. For quite a while, the host and I believe Al Schierman did a thing with a call-in based on this idea. There was an assumption that the caller had some basics (garlic, onions, EVOO, etc.), plus a few odd things in the fridge. They would concoct a meal out of said off things. We (especially Diana) loved this segment. Sadly, they no longer have this segment, so we tune into the blues station from Univ. Mn Duluth (equally outstanding).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Maybe instead of (or in addition to) the market basket challenge, we should have a leftover challenge...

What a great suggestion! But would it have to be a practical, or could we keep it theoritical? 'Cause otherwise we'd all need to cook the same dish to start out. Not that that's undoable, but how long would we have to wrangle about what it should be? :wink:

Maybe start with a menu picked at random from the dinner thread, and spin off new menus from there? :hmmm: