• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Paul Fink

Paul Fink

Thanks for the reply. I just recently joined the site. I was impressed when I saw folks quoting GastronomiqueBut I may have been mistaken. I don't really endorse the  Modernist Cuisine. I go for classical cuisine whether French or BBQ. BBQ isn't about cooking the perfect piece of meat. Its about a man, a fire, & smoke. Its a culture as much as a cuisine. Its taken me as long to learn to BBQ as it did to learn classical French cuisine.

One standard methods of cooking St Louis ribs is term 321. 3 hours on the grate with full smoke. This is the time when the bark is formed. Then 2 hours wrapped in foil to finish cooking the ribs with out drying them out. Then they are unwrapped, glazed and put back on the smoker for an hour. This gives them a a nice finish.The smoker runs at about 225 °

If I understand what your doing, the best method maybe to substitute the time in foil with sous vide cooking. Then glaze and put in oven. 

yes I know that still requires a grill or a smoker but that's bbq

Paul Fink

Paul Fink

Thanks for the reply. I just recently joined the site. I was impressed when I saw folks quoting La Gastronomie. But I may have been mistaken. I don't really endorse the  Modernist Cuisine. I go for classical cuisine whether French or BBQ. BBQ isn't about cooking the perfect piece of meat. Its about a man, a fire, & smoke. Its a culture as much as a cuisine. Its taken me as long to learn to BBQ as it did to learn classical French cuisine.

One standard methods of cooking St Louis ribs is term 321. 3 hours on the grate with full smoke. This is the time when the bark is formed. Then 2 hours wrapped in foil to finish cooking the ribs with out drying them out. Then they are unwrapped, glazed and put back on the smoker for an hour. This gives them a a nice finish.The smoker runs at about 225 °

If I understand what your doing, the best method maybe to substitute the time in foil with sous vide cooking. Then glaze and put in oven. 

yes I know that still requires a grill or a smoker but that's bbq