• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

@Shel_B

I said that it should be eaten before noon. I'd say I consider 6 PM to be the start of the evening.
It was obviously said with humor, but hummus is commonly eaten earlier in the day in Israel. It is considered a "heavy", and as such more suitable to be eaten at lunchtime.
I'd add and say that the absolute most of hummus restaurants close before 5 PM.

In general, many (probably most) people in Israel have their dinner (as in main meal) at lunchtime, usually somewhere between noon and 3PM. Those who keep kosher, as well as most workplaces, make this a meat based meal. In the evening, supper consists of lighter fare, often based on dairy and eggs. This is not true for holidays and Shabbat dinner (at Friday evening) where dinner is served in the evening, and lunch is often lighter.

shain

shain

@Shel_B

I said that it should be eaten before noon. I'd say I consider 6 PM to be the start of the evening.
It was obviously said with humor, but hummus is commonly eaten earlier in the day in Israel. It is considered a "heavy", and as such more suitable to be eaten at lunchtime.
I'd add and say that the absolute most of hummus restaurants closes before 5 PM.

In general, many (probably most) people in Israel have their dinner (as in main meal) at lunchtime, usually somewhere between noon and 3PM. Those who keep kosher, as well as most workplaces, make this a meat based meal. In the evening, supper consists of lighter fare, often based on dairy and eggs. This is not true for holidays and Shabbat dinner (at Friday evening) where dinner is served in the evening, and lunch is often lighter.

shain

shain

@Shel_B

It was obviously said with humor, but hummus is commonly eaten earlier in the day in Israel. It is considered a "heavy", and as such more suitable to be eaten at lunchtime. In general, many (probably most) people in Israel have their dinner (as in main meal) at lunchtime, usually somewhere between noon and 3PM. Those who keep kosher, as well as most workplaces, make this a meat based meal. In the evening, supper consists of lighter fare, often based on dairy and eggs. This is not true for holidays and Shabbat dinner (at Friday evening) where dinner is served in the evening, and lunch is often lighter.

shain

shain

@Shel_B

It was obviously said with humor, but hummus is commonly eaten earlier in the day in Israel. It is considered a "heavy", and as such more suitable to be eaten at lunch time. In general, many (probably most) people in Israel have their dinner (as in main meal) at "lunchtime", usually somewhere between noon and 3PM. Those who keep kosher, as well as most workplaces, make this a meat based meal. In the evening, supper consists of lighter fare, often based on dairy and eggs. This is not true for holidays and Shabbat dinner (at Friday evening) where dinner is served in the evening, and lunch is often lighter.