• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Utility Ribeye?

daveb

Is anyone familiar with this cut or grade?  A friend caught these on sale at Rest Depot.  He's not sure what it is but it says ribeye and was less than $5/lb so he bought a case and brought it to me to be packaged.  

I trimmed the silverskin (a lot) and sort of portioned it.  But.  It does not look like any ribeye I've seen.  No thick fat peice running through the center, texture does not look right for ribeye.  My limited google fu finds discussions of a cheap cut with little marbling that is typically tough.  My default on unknown cuts of beef is to treat them like a round and put them in a bath overnight.  

Does anyone have a good (or bad) experience to share?

Edited by daveb (log)

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

I bet it would make for a decent to pretty good burger.

That's right, it often does.

Utility, cutter or canner grades are usually older or 'troubled' cattle.

Tastiest ground beef I've ever had was from an older pasture-raised Holstein/Piedmontese cross brood cow.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

Troubled??

Say, for instance, a young dairy heifer or cow won't conceive for whatever reason —  so they get culled.

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of other possibilities.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, Yiannos said:

I always thought utility grade meat was what they used in the making of pet food and the like, the lowest of the low.

"Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades...are used instead to make ground beef and processed products."

• Like 1