• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The recipe for Spring Onion Gratin appeared in the first episode of this season's series Season 4, Episode : Onions .  It does not appear in the book.  In the episode, Vivian uses the terms interchangeably, but confirms with the farmer that the onions she is using will "bulb up" if left in the ground.  

This article from The Kitchn says that scallions, "are either harvested very young from the regular bulb-forming onions we are familiar with, or they can come from other varieties that actually never form bulbs," while spring onions, "come from the varietals that produce bulbs and are basically more mature versions of scallions. They are planted as seedlings in the late fall and then harvested the next spring, thus the word "spring" in the name."  From the video, it's clear that the ones that go into the dish haven't formed bulbs yet so I would think that in this particular recipe, scallions would be a good substitute if you don't want to wait for Spring.

Edited to add:

7 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Also, now's not the time for spring onions, so when making the recipe I will need a substitute - maybe leeks from our garden which are very flavorful?

I think a leek gratin made like this would be delicious but scallions would be more similar to the spring onions.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The recipe for Spring Onion Gratin appeared in the first episode of this season's series Season 4, Episode : Onions .  It does not appear in the book.  In the episode, Vivian uses the terms interchangeably, but confirms with the farmer that the onions she is using will "bulb up" if left in the ground.  

This article from The Kitchn says that scallions, "are either harvested very young from the regular bulb-forming onions we are familiar with, or they can come from other varieties that actually never form bulbs," while spring onions, "come from the varietals that produce bulbs and are basically more mature versions of scallions. They are planted as seedlings in the late fall and then harvested the next spring, thus the word "spring" in the name."  From the video, it's clear that the ones that go into the dish haven't formed bulbs yet so I would think that in this particular recipe, scallions would be a good substitute if you don't want to wait for Spring.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

This article from The Kitchn says that scallions, "are either harvested very young from the regular bulb-forming onions we are familiar with, or they can come from other varieties that actually never form bulbs," while spring onions, "come from the varietals that produce bulbs and are basically more mature versions of scallions. They are planted as seedlings in the late fall and then harvested the next spring, thus the word "spring" in the name."  From the video, it's clear that the ones that go into the dish haven't done that yet so I would think that in this particular recipe, scallions would be a good substitute if you don't want to wait for Spring.