• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

I've been eating arctic char, a common item on the menu here in chilly Churchill. Btw, if you ever visit Churchill keep in mind that prices here (almost) are same as in Scandinavia. Food is a bit less ($70 for this meal here for example), but lodging is certainly Scandianvian level.

QeiOGy8.jpg

ln0R8Vy.jpg

It's been amazing to be able to see wild animals in their natural habitat. Being someone who loves nature and animals (and solitude) I am so incredibly fortunate for this opportunity.

Right under my feet. The feeling of locking eyes with a polar bear whilst holding your breath is intense. You must be almost absolutely still, especially when a bear is this close and sniffing.

IOeWLKT.jpg

He stood up twice. Once next to the driver's door, and after that in the front of the "tundra buggy", almost touching the windscreen. This bear was good to us. He walked round the vehicle twice, sniffing and being curious, keeping us in a state of suspense for a long time. Everyone gasped and sighed when he did something adorable. He's a healthy young male, and an enormous one.

Zrsfus4.jpg

The bear (crossing/warning) sign in Spitsbergen is much nicer but I'm not complaining! It's "only" -2C (today) and I couldn't feel my fingers whilst making these photos.

4mMtXsK.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

I've been eating arctic char, a common item on the menu here in chilly Churchill. Btw, if you ever visit Churchill keep in mind that prices here (almost) are same as in Scandinavia. Food is a bit less ($70 for this meal here for example), but lodging is certainly Scandianvian level.

QeiOGy8.jpg

ln0R8Vy.jpg

It's been amazing to be able to see wild animals in their natural habitat. Being someone who loves nature and animals (and solitude) I am so incredibly fortunate for this opportunity.

Right under my feet. The feeling of locking eyes with a polar bear whilst holding your breath is intense. You must be almost absolutely still, especially when a bear is this close and sniffing.

IOeWLKT.jpg

He stood up twice. Once next to the driver's door, and after that in the front of the "tundra buggy", almost touching the windscreen. This bear was good to us. He walked round the vehicle twice, sniffing and being curious, keeping us in a state of suspense for a long time. Everyone gasped and sighed when he did something adorable. He's a healthy young male, and an enormous one.

Zrsfus4.jpg

The bear (crossing/warning) sign in Spitsbergen is much nicer but I'm not complaining! It's -2C and I couldn't feel my fingers whilst making these photos.

4mMtXsK.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

I've been eating arctic char, a common item on the menu here in chilly Churchill.

QeiOGy8.jpg

ln0R8Vy.jpg

IOeWLKT.jpg

He stook up twice. Once next to the driver's door, and after that in the front of the "tundra buggy", almost touching the windscreen. This bear was good to us. He walked round the vehicle twice, sniffing and being curious, keeping us in a state of suspense for a long time. Everyone gasped and sighed when he did something adorable. He's a healthy young male, and an enormous one.

Zrsfus4.jpg

The bear (crossing/warning) sign in Spitsbergen is much nicer but I'm not complaining! It's -2C and I couldn't feel my fingers whilst making these photos.

4mMtXsK.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

I've been eating arctic char, a common item on the menu here in chilly Churchill.

QeiOGy8.jpg

ln0R8Vy.jpg

IOeWLKT.jpg

He stook up twice. Once next to the driver's door, and after that in the front of the "tundra buggy", almost touching the windscreen. This bear was good to us. He walked round the vehicle twice keeping us in a state of suspense for a long time.

Zrsfus4.jpg

IOeWLKT.jpg

The bear (crossing/warning) sign in Spitsbergen is much nicer but I'm not complaining!

4mMtXsK.jpg