• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

4 hours ago, shini said:

Stir-fried chicken with noodles, soy sauce eggs and asian greens. I'm quite happy with how my eggs turned out ! ^_^

DSC_2645.JPG

Those eggs are things of beauty. Time/temp details on how you cooked them, and then the soy sauce bath???

No photos, but a decent dinner tonight. I am leading a "Cooking Matters" class at my church; the class is aimed at teaching low-income people to cook healthy meals on a SNAP-sized budget. Tonight we did a recipe from the book provided to participants, "Chicken with Apples and Onions." Essentially, one sautees a mix of onions, carrots and apples (we used Granny Smiths); takes bone-in chicken pieces, spices them with a mix of cinnamon, cumin and coriander, along with salt and pepper, and pan-sautes in the same skillet; add veggies back in, add chicken broth and raisins (I used Craisins, because, well, I don't like raisins) and simmer until the chicken's done. Served with a mixed veggies (frozen, in a bag, nuked with some butter, salt and pepper), and topped with toasted slivered almonds.

No one (but me) had tried that spice combo before. Most were doubters. Everyone cleaned their plates. This was really pretty damn good, as opposed to some of the recipes from the book, which have been OK but not, well, exceptional, and some that have been just downright awful (the "Cheesy Hamburger Skillet" has WAY too much thyme; does no one vet these things?). 

I highly recommend to any of you looking for a volunteer project for your church or civic group to give this a whirl. We've had a great time, and made lots of new friends in the process. Here's a link.

kayb

kayb

4 hours ago, shini said:

Stir-fried chicken with noodles, soy sauce eggs and asian greens. I'm quite happy with how my eggs turned out ! ^_^

DSC_2645.JPG

Those eggs are things of beauty. Time/temp details on how you cooked them, and then the soy sauce bath???

No photos, but a decent dinner tonight. I am leading a "Cooking Matters" class at my church; the class is aimed at teaching low-income people to cook healthy meals on a SNAP-sized budget. Tonight we did a recipe from the book provided to participants, "Chicken with Apples and Onions." Essentially, one sautees a mix of onions, carrots and apples (we used Granny Smiths); takes bone-in chicken pieces, spices them with a mix of cinnamon, cumin and coriander, along with salt and pepper, and pan-sautes in the same skillet; add veggies back in, add chicken broth and raisins (I used Craisins, because, well, I don't like raisins) and simmer until the chicken's done. Served with a mixed veggies (frozen, in a bag, nuked with some butter, salt and pepper), and topped with toasted slivered almonds.

No one had tried that spice combo before. Most were doubters. Everyone cleaned their plates. This was really pretty damn good, as opposed to some of the recipes from the book, which have been OK but not, well, exceptional, and some that have been just downright awful (the "Cheesy Hamburger Skillet" has WAY too much thyme; does no one vet these things?). 

I highly recommend to any of you looking for a volunteer project for your church or civic group to give this a whirl. We've had a great time, and made lots of new friends in the process. Here's a link.

kayb

kayb

4 hours ago, shini said:

DSC_2645.JPG