• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

So the good news for those with Aw meters is that those devices do take into account any alcohol; the bad news is that it takes a lot of alcohol to make a substantial difference in shelf life.

If this is indeed the case, it gives me a small sense of relief in a way. Not because the alcohol doesn't make a substantial difference, it's a nice tool to have available if it did. My relief comes from the idea that if adding it doesn't make much difference, then neither does leaving it out. Because I have a tendency to prefer not to add booze to my chocolates unless I'm doing a filling where it's a specific part of the desired flavor profile. Thing like cocktail mimics and the like.

Edited to fix a dumb spelling error that would have bothered me if it remained.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

So the good news for those with Aw meters is that those devices do take into account any alcohol; the bad news is that it takes a lot of alcohol to make a substantial difference in shelf life.

If this is indeed the case, it gives me a small sense of relief in a way. Not because the alcohol doesn't make a substantial difference, it's a nice tool to have available if it did. My relief comes from the idea that if adding it doesn't make much difference, than neither does leaving it out. Because I have a tendency to prefer not to add booze to my chocolates unless I'm doing a filling where it's a specific part of the desired flavor profile. Thing like cocktail mimics and the like.