• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

First, there are no nuts in the loaf.  The whole wheat flour I used for that loaf has some "cracked" wheat bits in it.  

I use whole milk powder because it retards staling in bread without any of the chemical additives used in commercial bread, it improves the flavor and it produces an evenly browned crust that is tender but still sturdy.  For this type of bread I do not want a hard, crackly crust - as I would want on an artisan loaf, because I want a crust that cuts cleanly.

I have tried low-fat milk and the results are not the same.  King Arthur sells Baker's Special Dry Milk.  Most health food stores carry dried whole milk but you can also order it from Amazon - they carry Peak Dry Whole Milk Powder.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

First, there are no nuts in the loaf.  The whole wheat flour I used for that loaf has some "cracked" wheat bits in it.  

I use whole milk powder because it retards staling in bread without any of the chemical additives used in commercial bread and it produces an evenly browned crust that is tender but still sturdy.  For this type of bread I do not want a hard, crackly crust - as I would want on an artisan loaf, because I want a crust that cuts cleanly.

I have tried low-fat milk and the results are not the same.  King Arthur sells Baker's Special Dry Milk.  Most health food stores carry dried whole milk but you can also order it from Amazon - they carry Peak Dry Whole Milk Powder.