• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

28 minutes ago, boilsover said:

You should not be using Pyrex in the BSO.  I believe the manual says as much, and World Kitchen certainly warns against placing Pyrex within 6" of electric elements.

OK.  I have skimmed through the manual (BOV845,  all models) and cannot find any mention of Pyrex at all.   The only thing I can find which might be applicable is :

"Caution should be exercised when using pans and dishes constructed of materials other than metal. "

And I would not own or use the latest Pyrex dishes period.  They took the borosilicate out of it, thus robbing it of its acclaimed safety factor.  End of buying new Pyrex for me forever.  I do have a good selection of old Pyrex, unscratched, etc, and I use it constantly and carefully.  (Although I can't use the 9" x 13" pan in the Breville...alas...)

I'll look up the World Kitchen warning...

Added ten minutes later...good lord, they make the new Pyrex.  Well, so much for that one....

Darienne

Darienne

11 minutes ago, boilsover said:

You should not be using Pyrex in the BSO.  I believe the manual says as much, and World Kitchen certainly warns against placing Pyrex within 6" of electric elements.

OK.  I have skimmed through the manual (BOV845,  all models) and cannot find any mention of Pyrex at all.   The only thing I can find which might be applicable is :

"Caution should be exercised when using pans and dishes constructed of materials other than metal. "

And I would not own or use the latest Pyrex dishes period.  They took the borosilicate out of it, thus robbing it of its acclaimed safety factor.  End of buying new Pyrex for me forever.  I do have a good selection of old Pyrex, unscratched, etc, and I use it constantly and carefully.  (Although I can't use the 9" x 13" pan in the Breville...alas...)

I'll look up the World Kitchen warning...