• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typing

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

the PW  had some pear aroma and flavor , but not very much.

it also has a lot of raw alcohol burn.

not what I was expecting.  reminded me of Local Raw Calvados in Brittany / Normandy :  good for ' burning a hole and not much else

That's pretty much my experience with pear eau de vie.  Clear Creek Pear Brandy is my favorite and but it's still not something I care to sip on its own.  It is an ingredient of my favorite holiday cocktail, Chuck Taggart's Réveillon, so I always make sure to have some around at that time of year. 

the TiaMaria was OI.  good coffee flavor and aftertaste but sweeter than I remember.

If the Tia Maria is too sweet for sipping purposes, which you mentioned earlier, consider diluting it into something like a Coffee Old Fashioned with a bourbon or rum that you view sip-worthy as the base spirit, depending on your preferences. 

For sipping straight, I'll repeat my recommendation for the Koloa Kaua'i Coffee Rum.  Very delicious. Perhaps a bit overpriced at around $30/bottle when you might find a nice rum like Doorly's XO for $16.99 (current price at my Total Wine) to blend with your Tia Maria. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

the PW  had some pear aroma and flavor , but not very much.

it also has a lot of raw alcohol burn.

not what I was expecting.  reminded me of Local Raw Calvados in Brittany / Normandy :  good for ' burning a hole and not much else

That's pretty much my experience with pear eau de vie.  Clear Creek Pear Brandy is my favorite and but it's still not something I care to sip on its own.  It is an ingredient of my favorite holiday cocktail, Chuck Taggart's Réveillon, so I always make sure to have some around at that time of year. 

the TiaMaria was OI.  good coffee flavor and aftertaste but sweeter than I remember.

If the Tia Maria is too sweet for sipping purposes, which you mentioned earlier that, consider diluting it into something like a Coffee Old Fashioned with a bourbon or rum that you view sip-worthy as the base spirit, depending on your preferences. 

For sipping straight, I'll repeat my recommendation for the Koloa Kaua'i Coffee Rum.  Very delicious. Perhaps a bit overpriced at around $30/bottle when you might find a nice rum like Doorly's XO for $16.99 (current price at my Total Wine) to blend with your Tia Maria.