• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

On 9/16/2017 at 2:56 PM, ChocoMom said:

The taco meat is easy.  Brown the ground beef, though it doesn't have to be entirely done.  For every pound of ground beef, add in a scant 5 TBS of taco seasoning.  Pack the ground beef in the pints, use the leftover beef juices to fill the jar with a 1" headspace.  Its going to be salty, but you can always drain and rinse a bit before using.  

You'd have to pressure can pints for 75 minutes, at 10 pounds.  I double stacked them in the pressure canner, and did 14 all at once. =) 

This question keeps haunting me and no matter how or what I google I can't find the answer.  I am at 1,390 feet....do I use 15 lbs?  Other people that I read about in Kansas use 10 lbs.

Edited to add that I used 15 lbs to be safe.   

Shelby

Shelby

On 9/16/2017 at 2:56 PM, ChocoMom said:

The taco meat is easy.  Brown the ground beef, though it doesn't have to be entirely done.  For every pound of ground beef, add in a scant 5 TBS of taco seasoning.  Pack the ground beef in the pints, use the leftover beef juices to fill the jar with a 1" headspace.  Its going to be salty, but you can always drain and rinse a bit before using.  

You'd have to pressure can pints for 75 minutes, at 10 pounds.  I double stacked them in the pressure canner, and did 14 all at once. =) 

This question keeps haunting me and no matter how or what I google I can't find the answer.  I am at 1,390 feet....do I use 15 lbs?  Other people that I read about in Kansas use 10 lbs.