• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

8 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Then I have to ask: what makes you classify something as a kugel? And if it's not a kugel, then what would you call it? I'm not totally sure how I would define a kugel, but I know it when I see it!

Well, it's not something I've given much thought to. I think that to be a kugel in my eyes, it must be:

• Made of noodles / flat pasta - not extruded pasta (Or potatoes for potato kugel).
  • Bound with eggs, so that it is cohesive.
  • Have an "Ashkenazi flavor profile" - For a savory kugel that will mean ingredients like black pepper, onion, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, maybe sour cream or farmer cheese. For a sweet kugel, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruits, apples, sour cream or farmer cheese.
  • Be mostly brown.

And if it's not a kugel, I'd probably call it a pasta casserole.

shain

shain

Then I have to ask: what makes you classify something as a kugel? And if it's not a kugel, then what would you call it? I'm not totally sure how I would define a kugel, but I know it when I see it!

Well, it's not something I've given much thought to. I think that to be a kugel in my eyes, it must be:

• Made of noodles / flat pasta - not extruded pasta (Or potatoes for potato kugel).
  • Have an "Ashkenazi flavor profile" - For a savory kugel that will mean ingredients like black pepper, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, maybe sour cream or farmer cheese. For a sweet kugel, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruits, apples, sour cream or farmer cheese.
  • Be mostly brown.

shain

shain

• Made of noodles/flat pasta - not extruded pasta, and preferably noodles with some eggs in it. (Or potatoes for potato kugel)
  • Have an "Ashkenazi flavor profile" - For a savory kugel that will mean ingredients like black pepper, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, maybe sour cream or farmer cheese. For a sweet kugel, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruits, apples, sour cream or farmer cheese.
  • Be mostly brown.