• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

17 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Faux Pas,

All of your meal looks beautiful, but the blackberry pie bars looked so good I bookmarked the recipe. Your bars look prettier than the ones posted in the linked recipe. Your topping looks finer, crumblier and crunchier.  Did you make any adjustments?

I'm suspecting the recipe would work well with a lot of different fruits too.

@Thanks for the Crepes, thanks so much! 

I roughly halved the recipe as the original (in a 9" X 13") would have made too much for our purposes. I used an 8" X 8" pan, cooked at only 350F on convection bake in the  Cuisinart Convection Steam Oven and reduced the cooking time to about 30 or 35 mins. I can't remember the exact cooking time but I took them out when the top had a nice bit of browning on it. 

I agree that the one I made looked tastier (not sure why, maybe just the photo angle?) and it was really good. I still used one egg, but a small one and I used a bit more than half the butter, and maybe a tad more than half the other ingredients also as I wanted lots of crust and topping. I don't have a food processor so used a hand pastry cutter/blender to cut the partially softened butter into the flour mix and I suspect the resulting mix was therefore coarser than the original.  

And yes, this absolutely would work with other fruits! If you make it, would love to see your pics! 

Edited to add: I think this simple recipe is all over the place - I see Smitten Kitchen has basically the same one today featured on her Facebook page, only with blueberries and called Blueberry Crumb Bars. Ha. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

13 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Faux Pas,

All of your meal looks beautiful, but the blackberry pie bars looked so good I bookmarked the recipe. Your bars look prettier than the ones posted in the linked recipe. Your topping looks finer, crumblier and crunchier.  Did you make any adjustments?

@Thanks for the Crepes, thanks so much! 

I roughly halved the recipe as the original (in a 9" X 13") would have made too much for our purposes. I used an 8" X 8" pan, cooked at only 350F on convection bake in the  Cuisinart Convection Steam Oven and reduced the cooking time to about 30 or 35 mins. I can't remember the exact cooking time but I took them out when the top had a nice bit of browning on it. 

I agree that the one I made looked tastier (not sure why, maybe just the photo angle?) and it was really good. I still used one egg, but a small one and I used a bit more than half the butter, and maybe a tad more than half the other ingredients also as I wanted lots of crust and topping. I don't have a food processor so used a hand pastry cutter/blender to cut the partially softened butter into the flour mix and I suspect the resulting mix was therefore coarser than the original.  

And yes, this absolutely would work with other fruits! If you make it, would love to see your pics! 

FauxPas

FauxPas

13 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Faux Pas,

@Thanks for the Crepes, I roughly halved the recipe as the original (in a 9" X 13") would have made too much for our purposes. I used an 8" X 8" pan, cooked at only 350F on convection bake in the  Cuisinart Convection Steam Oven and reduced the cooking time to about 30 or 35 mins. I can't remember the exact cooking time but I took them out when the top had a nice bit of browning on it.